How do you know which server you're actually using?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VOLS34, Feb 13, 2012.

1. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

When you use the speed test app it gives you different servers in different places to test from. How do you know which one you actually use or do you use all of them?

2. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Go to settings within the app to locate the server.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329185787.073496.jpg

3. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

yes you can change that to other servers within a pretty broad range. Just wondering what would be the actual server you use on a daily basis.

4. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

When you change the server, it gives a list of servers sorting closest to furthest. I leave mine on the closest when I run the test.

5. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

So that's the server your data goes through all the time or just for that test?

6. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Just for that test.

7. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

That's what I thought. How do you know which one you use on a regular basis?

8. iphoneint

iphoneint Member
    Bronze

The servers that it lists are only used to test speeds to different areas of the internet. Having different servers for the application to hit provides you the ability to determine if it is just a particular segment from your network to that server that is slow or if the overall connection is.

The servers are not something that are used for something else within your phone, unless you specifically are hitting them as part of a different website or app.

Hope that made sense.

9. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

So when you download or upload something on 3G it doesn't travel through a server? Are you constantly using different servers? I didn't think my question was this complicated.

10. iphoneint

iphoneint Member
    Bronze

It travels through several network elements, which could be considered servers. All I was saying is that the servers that are listed in the application have nothing to do with where your upload or download travels through from your phone. So to answer the question yes when you download or upload something it goes through some sort of server, but not the ones that are listed in the application.

The servers the application uses are hosting a service that allows a download and an upload so that you can measure the speed as to which those files were transferred.

So for example, lets say that you use a server that is listed in the application in Chicago, IL... and you receive a speed of 1 Mb/sec. Then if you go to a website that is hosted in a server somewhere in the Chicago area your speed might be similar to the one that the application showed, since it more than likely would travel through a similar route as to the server listed in the application.

The confusion here is because you are making the association that the servers listed have anything to do with where your uploads/downloads go to, which they do not.

Bottom line :): You really need to find a server in the application that is nearest to you and not busy to have the application show you the theoretical maximum speed which the file can be transferred through the 3G network area you are connected to at the time.