How do you like the watch so far?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Loquutis, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

So I was wondering... Now that things seem to have settled down with most of us having our watch for a while now, how is everyone liking it? I thought it would be interesting to hear from the bunch of you who were keeping the threads going with all the anticipation of having the watch in your hands. Or...on your wrist!

I for one am liking the watch even more than I thought I would. It has exceeded my expectations in many ways. The build quality, never a disappointment with Apple. The look is rather classy as it sits on my wrist, I was worried it would look to "Dick Tracey" but it very much does not.
    I thought the size of the apps on the main screen would be to difficult to access but in fact are very easy to touch and activate.
    As always with Apple products, it is very intuitive and did not take long for everything to become second nature.

So what are some of your thoughts on it? Likes? Dislikes??

2. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I've gotta admit, I'm digging it more than I thought I would. I got mine as a Father's Day gift, so I've only had it a week. Still trying to figure out some of the intricacies. I like the fitness aspects of it, as I've been working to get myself back into a better exercise routine. While I've not completely got that worked out yet, I'm enjoying testing out the various apps. I was a Runkeeper user before the apple watch, so I do enjoy being able to control it from the watch now.

Also love the phone feature of the watch, and how easy the handoff is to the phone after answering or initiating a call from the watch.

One of the cooler features I picked up on is in maps. When you use the watch to direct you from point A to point B, one of the coolest things is the Turn function. As you approach a turn, the watch vibrates on your wrist, and there as a beeping pattern that is unique to whether you are supposed to turn left or turn right. Pretty cool!!

3. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

for me, the novelty has worn off. I use it for telling time, checking notifications, and tracking workouts. Pretty much everything else doesn't get used. Glances are an interesting idea, but having to shuffle through them to find the one you actually want to see takes longer than just going to the app screen and opening the full watch app. maybe if I narrow the glances down to 3 or so it'll be better, I'll have to try that.

Also, the UI in the workout app is SUPER laggy, so that's pretty tedious to deal with. Luckily it only takes a few taps to start and end a workout.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Does the Watch use the iPhone's GPS when you are using the RunKeeper app? Are the stats you see on the Watch the same as the stats in the Runkeeper iPhone app?

5. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Yes, that is my understanding.

I haven't compared a workout from the Apple Workout App with the Runkeeper App. Maybe I should do that. You pretty much start and stop the Runkeeper app on the phone with the watch, but you can see your time, mileage, etc., on your apple watch as you're going, which is much easier than seeing it on your upper arm when it's in an armband.

One other thing I forgot to mention is the AWESOME battery life. Yesterday I wore it all day, from about 6 AM until just after midnight and I still had 46% battery left!! Granted, I didn't workout with it, and I wasn't fiddling with it as much throughout the day as I did during most of the week, but I'm finding the battery to be very reliable, and even on a couple days when I was getting nervous that I'd run out, I could find 30-60 minutes to plug it in and that would give me enough of a boost to get me through the day.

6. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

Sorry to hear that. For the money you spent I'm guessing you have some serious buyers remorse. You could always gift it. Did you keep the packaging?

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think you misinterpreted his post. He still uses it and it doesn't sound like he wants to get rid of it; he just isn't all giddy or excited about it like some people are. The novelty of a lot of what we buy wears off in time, but that doesn't mean we don't use the stuff anymore or want to sell it.

8. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

Reading it over again I see that that is the case. My bad.

9. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I'm loving mine more and more everyday. I use it mostly for fitness and it helps motivate me to push myself and complete the rings everyday. I hardly take the phone out anymore to check for notifications, checking the weather forecast, my stocks, and schedule. My iPhone has been living in my pocket much more these days.

10. 09_SERG

09_SERG Member
    Bronze

I too am enjoying my watch, I will suggest that after being a just a watch it is totally just an extension of my iPhone. I would tell someone if your on the fence and can't truly afford the sticker price to not get it. Perhaps I will enjoy it more when my girlfriend gets hers later this week(as a gift from me). As suggested by another poster, I do enjoy the map feature! I like not having to get out my phone for texts and I like the notification on incoming calls. I have never missed a text or a call since wearing the watch.

11. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Mine has become an indispensable conduit to my iPhone 6, which now stays in my pocket or on my desk much of the time. Emails, texts and other notifications are handled on the watch for the most part. I agree with @ZR_Yancy that it gets more useful every day, and I also use if to track fitness and nutrition, primarily with Runkeeper and LoseIt!. Siri gets regular use, especially since I can just raise my wrist and say "Hey Siri..." followed by my request. Siri can set alarms, open apps, make phone calls, send messages, get full weather, display maps, control music, show sports scores, stocks, and provide answers to your questions. I often use Siri to add items to my grocery list or set timers for cooking.

I suspect that the features and convenience of the Apple Watch is more appreciated by those who have a greater daily interaction with their iPhone. It certainly has changed my iPhone use patterns... for the better.

#11 up10ad, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015