How do you make music files in iCloud only?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by chazm, Oct 8, 2014.

1. chazm

chazm Contributor
    Silver

Not sure if this is the right place to ask or not, but it is about software and I use ios8. But I have a iPhone 5 16gb and I am out of memory until my iPhone 6 Plus comes in. I don't want to delete my music but I notice that some songs, like the U2 album, doesn't take up memory. If I want to play it, it just plays. It has that cloud icon next to the song.

If I delete a song it's just gone, but how can I just take it off but have it as cloud only?

2. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Just swipe left on any song that does not have the iCloud symbol, and it will stay in you list, but be in the cloud as opposed to on the device, taking up memory...
    See "Aces High" song on the list below...

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

#2 snowtrooper1966, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You can do like shown above, and the music is still there in your purchased list. Just like apps in the App Store. You can delete apps and download them back later. Photos can be stored in Box. Dropbox, OneDrive or Google Drive. Then deleted from your Photos app. You can make more space.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

4. chazm

chazm Contributor
    Silver

Doesn't seem to do that in mine. I went to songs and deleted the first one and it's completely gone.

Sent using iCafe app

5. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Could be that it handles it differently for iTunes match, which I have subscribed to. Sorry if I mislead u.....
    Thought I understood SOMETHING in iTunes O_o

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Wow, full size iPhone 6 Plus screenshots are gargantuan. I have a 27" iMac with Chrome maximized and I have to scroll to view one screenshot in its entirety.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Wow, full size iPhone 6 Plus screenshots are gargantuan. I have a 27" iMac with Chrome maximized and I have to scroll to view the entire screenshot. And that's before I click on it to expand.

8. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Guess everything is mammoth about the 6+ :D

9. chazm

chazm Contributor
    Silver

I've been meaning to get iTunes Match but I'm not sure I ever fully understood what it does

10. snowtrooper1966

Gold

From the apple site:

How iTunes Match works

With iCloud, the music you buy from the iTunes Store automatically appears on all your devices.1 And for music you haven’t purchased from iTunes, iTunes Match is the perfect solution, letting you store your entire collection in iCloud — even music you’ve imported from CDs or purchased somewhere other than iTunes. iTunes Match also lets you listen to music ad-free on iTunes Radio. And it’s built right into iTunes on your computer and the Music app on your iOS devices.2 All you have to do is subscribe. It’s the best way to enjoy all your music anywhere, anytime — on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, PC, or Apple TV.

How iTunes Match works

iTunes determines which songs in your collection are available in the iTunes Store. Any music with a match is automatically added to iCloud for you to listen to anytime, on any device. Since there are more than 43 million songs in the iTunes Store, chances are your music is already in iCloud.3 And for the few songs that aren’t, iTunes uploads what it can’t match (which is much faster than uploading your entire music library). Even better, all the music iTunes matches plays back from iCloud at 256-Kbps AAC DRM-free quality — even if your original copy was of lower quality.
    Once your music is in iCloud, you can play it from any of your devices. Just browse the complete list of all your music stored in the cloud and tap to play to it. You can store up to 25,000 songs in iCloud (more if songs are purchased from the iTunes Store), but only what you play or download is stored on your device. Tap the iCloud download button to download music from an artist, album, or playlist. So you have immediate access to a huge music library without having to worry about the storage space on your device.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If every song you play on the device is downloaded and stored on it, how are you saving storage space? You'd eventually end up with your entire library stored if you played everything.