How do you reboot the iPhone 3GS?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I'm starting to think I may not remember how to do this by the time I ever need to.

With the 3G and the final GM build of 3.0, memory leaks were forcing a daily reboot of the iPhone (sometimes more than one). On the 3GS, I've gone a good 5 days now without a reboot. Free Memory has sometimes shown available RAM getting as low as around 18mb - but I've yet to see any freeze-ups or lag or anything that made me feel a reboot might be a good idea.

What are you guys seeing in this area on the 3GS?

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
To do a simple reboot just power off by pressing and holding the power button on top till the power off option appears on the screen. Slide your finger on that to shut down and after it's off press and hold the power button again till you see an image appear on your screen.
As for Free Memory I deleted that and bought istat because it was showing the extra 128 ram that FM didn't appear to be showing, last Friday anyway.
And no I haven't noticed any freeze ups since the upgrade and the ram is the key to that! It's been great!

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
To do a simple reboot just power off by pressing and holding the power button on top till the power off option appears on the screen. Slide your finger on that to shut down and after it's off press and hold the power button again till you see an image appear on your screen.
As for Free Memory I deleted that and bought istat because it was showing the extra 128 ram that FM didn't appear to be showing, last Friday anyway.
And no I haven't noticed any freeze ups since the upgrade and the ram is the key to that! It's been great!
Dude - thanks but I was hoping my post made clear the title was in jest, I do actually recall how to reboot.

As for Free Memory, it has shown me amounts above 128mb free, so Ill stick with it for now ...

Get_Zwole

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Oklahoma City
are you supposed to reboot every so often? I haven't yet ive had mine for 4 days now?

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
You cant always tell sarcasm on a forum. But a good indicator is that patrickj has over 4,000 posts. If someone is around here for 4,000 posts and doesn't know how to reboot his phone, the mods would ban his ass! LOL

Im glad I checked out this thread though. I keep seeing iStat and FM and wasn't sure if I should even bother. So deducing from your post patrickj, when you use either stat application and it shows you low RAM available, that means its reboot time?

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I agree Patrick. I have yet to experience any crashes or freeze ups. My iPhone 3GS has been running flawlessly. BTW..thanks for reminding me how to reboot. :p

Get_Zwole

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Oklahoma City
Are you guys using an app that shows you the ram? Sorry im a noob to iPhones lol thanks.

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
With FM and istat you can just clear your memory from time to time if it starts getting low. On my old 3G I would start getting lag and crashes when the memory dropped to around 5 megs. But with the GS it's hard toget it lower than 20 much less 5! I still clear it every couple of days cause it's like a good flush for the system.

I can't believe I didn't look at the 4000 posts thing!

Get_Zwole

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Oklahoma City
With FM and istat you can just clear your memory from time to time if it starts getting low. On my old 3G I would start getting lag and crashes when the memory dropped to around 5 megs. But with the GS it's hard toget it lower than 20 much less 5! I still clear it every couple of days cause it's like a good flush for the system.

I can't believe I didn't look at the 4000 posts thing!
oh ok cool ill do that thanks man.

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Yes istat shows free memory, how much storage you have free, your wifi ip address, your MAC address and more stuff. It's pretty useful for $2!

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Im glad I checked out this thread though. I keep seeing iStat and FM and wasn't sure if I should even bother. So deducing from your post patrickj, when you use either stat application and it shows you low RAM available, that means its reboot time?
Hi iMerlin. I haven't used iStat yet, but sounds like it does roughly the same as Free Memory. FM just shows running processes an available free RAM (not storage of course) memory.

It can be a good gauge for when you may want to reboot - although I am finding the new 3GS is much better at gradually reclaiming memory than the 3G was.

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
No problem Patrick. I've just been crying for the last half hour, quit my job, and won't be able to sleep tonight because I posted rookie info to the guy who started this forum (4000 posts is a lot)! I'll be alright. I'm just kinda sensitive.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
No problem Patrick. I've just been crying for the last half hour, quit my job, and won't be able to sleep tonight because I posted rookie info to the guy who started this forum (4000 posts is a lot)! I'll be alright. I'm just kinda sensitive.
LOL. Nothing a quick freeing up of memory and reboot of phone / life won't fix :laugh2:

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
LOL! Why else would I quit my job and not sleep nights? I'm addicted to this stupid 3GS! It's not my fault but my wife won't buy it so it's back to work I go.