How do you remove all data from 3GS

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
Well we've decided to pass down my wife's 3Gs. What is the best way to remove my wife's info and restore the phone to factory settings? I'd like to keep the 5.0.1 iOS. It will be going from one iTunes account to another. I also don't want the iMessage problem.

Note: I realize that this topic has more than likely been discussed; and yes I did a search, but kept getting restore from Jailbreak answers. I'm taking the easy way and just asking the experts!

Thanks in advance,

Target

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Isn't there a detail regarding disconnecting iMessage separate from a basic reset, else the unit gets copies of SMSes?

Sent from my iPod touch using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
If the phone is jailbroken, you'll want to avoid the 'Erase all Content and Settings' option on the iPhone itself. It will put it into a infinite boot loop or get it stuck at the boot logo, which will require a DFU restore. Instead, connect to iTunes and select the restore button. Select 'no' when it asks if you want to use a backup. This will restore it to factory settings on 5.0.1.

If it's not jailbroken, either method is fine.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
If the phone is jailbroken, you'll want to avoid the "erase all content and settings" option on the iPhone itself. Instead, connect to iTunes and select the restore button. Select 'no' when it asks if you want to use a backup. This will restore it to factory settings on 5.0.1.
Is it a jail broken phone? Did I miss something?

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
If the phone is jailbroken, you'll want to avoid the 'Erase all Content and Settings' option on the iPhone itself. It will put it into a infinite boot loop or get it stuck at the boot logo, which will require a DFU restore. Instead, connect to iTunes and select the restore button. Select 'no' when it asks if you want to use a backup. This will restore it to factory settings on 5.0.1.

If it's not jailbroken, either method is fine.
Sorry for the dumb question, which iTunes? My wife's or my daughter's who will be inheriting the 3Gs?

We will be adding it iCloud. Any tricks?

Target

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You can erase all content and settings on the phone since it isn't jailbroken. But if it were, since you asked, either computer would work. She would just set it up on her computer after you were done restoring it.

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
I really appreciate all the advice. I'm in the process of resetting the phone now using the phone. I'll connect it to iTunes when finished.

Here is another question: Do I need to have the SIM card in to connect it to iTunes? We will moving the SIM from a "dumb" phone. We're on AT&T. I am going to add the data plan of coarse.

Target

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
Follow up:

Thanks to each of you for your help today. We are 3-iphone family now. Heaven help us.

Target

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app