How do you turn OFF iPod in iPhone?

MNJON

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Minnesota
The only way I can get it to shut off is if I turn on a video and then stop that. There must be a better way I would think?

MNJON

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Minnesota
No real sure what you mean. If you are playing music in ipod, you can press the stop button to quit.
You must have a special model. My iPhone as well as my wife's iPhone has no Stop Button... they only show a pause and next or previous button.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
You must have a special model. My iPhone as well as my wife's iPhone has no Stop Button... they only show a pause and next or previous button.
By pressing pause, you are essentially "stopping it". iPods don't have "stop" buttons either. Keeping it paused isn't consuming any battery, if that's what you're concerned about.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I may still not understand the question. The pause button is the same as "stop". You don't need to do anything further to "shut off" the ipod function.:)

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I either press pause or pull out the aux. cable/headphones to stop playback.

If the iPod is playing you can double tap the home button twice to bring up a mini control panel to pause.

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
if you hold down the home button for about 8 seconds while in the ipod it will force it to quit. thereforee it will "stop" all activity in the ipod part of the iPhone. if that makes you feel any better then just pressing pause. you can do this to any application on the iPhone to completly stop its activity

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
There is a way. Hold the home button for a couple of seconds until it quits the application. Be advised though that this is force quitting the application. But it does completely turns it off. anyways, like the others have said, pause is stop for ipods.

derekgreer

Nov 4, 2008
I may still not understand the question. The pause button is the same as "stop". You don't need to do anything further to "shut off" the ipod function.:)
I believe I understand what @MNJON is referring to. Consider how Windows Media Player works on the Windows platform as a point of comparision. Windows Media Player is either running or not, can be completely shut down (no process consuming memory), and while running can be in one of three states: no media file selected, selected media file playing, or selected media file paused.

In contrast, once the iPhone's IPod application is "started", it appars as if it is either running in the foreground or the background. Additionally, once the application is "started" it seems to only allow for two states: last selected media file playing or last selected media file paused.

Once you start playing a song in the IPod application, a "Now Playing" indicator appears at the top of the various screens. Leaving the IPod application and returning continues to show the "Now Playing" indicator. This gives the sense that you've simply put the song on pause and put the IPod application in the background. Obviously, with the battery life such that it is, the idea of an application running in the background when you aren't using it is troublesome.

The real question is whether the IPod application is actually in a different state between when you first start up the iPhone and when you have a song on pause and are not in the IPod application. When a song is on pause and you've exited back to the main iPhone screen, is the IPod application still running? Is it ever not running and the difference is whether is tracking the last selected song?

Last edited by a moderator:

iPhone™

Bronze
Oct 4, 2008
Australia
I believe I understand what @MNJON is referring to. Consider how Windows Media Player works on the Windows platform as a point of comparision. Windows Media Player is either running or not, can be completely shut down (no process consuming memory), and while running can be in one of three states: no media file selected, selected media file playing, or selected media file paused.

In contrast, once the iPhone's IPod application is "started", it appars as if it is either running in the foreground or the background. Additionally, once the application is "started" it seems to only allow for two states: last selected media file playing or last selected media file paused.

Once you start playing a song in the IPod application, a "Now Playing" indicator appears at the top of the various screens. Leaving the IPod application and returning continues to show the "Now Playing" indicator. This gives the sense that you've simply put the song on pause and put the IPod application in the background. Obviously, with the battery life such that it is, the idea of an application running in the background when you aren't using it is troublesome.

The real question is whether the IPod application is actually in a different state between when you first start up the iPhone and when you have a song on pause and are not in the IPod application. When a song is on pause and you've exited back to the main iPhone screen, is the IPod application still running? Is it ever not running and the difference is whether is tracking the last selected song?
Someone get the newest awesomest member medal. Stap.

Last edited by a moderator:

debuke

Nov 6, 2008
the best answer i have found thus far is:

- hold down the HOME button for 8 seconds. this turns the app off.

however, this turns off ANY app, not just the ipod.

another way:

- when you are NOT in the ipod and it's playing, you can double-tap the HOME button. this brings up the ipod menu. i found that this also took care of the album art from showing up on my wallpaper at the start page.

two birds with one i-stone... :cool:

-- debuke

rtrev64

Sep 28, 2008
So there is a proper way to shut off the iPhone 3g? I just been pressing down the power button. I failed to realize it was like a pc.. thus did it lead to my curren problem?

Problem is all my apps don't play or work more than 30 seconds to a minute. what to do?