How do you use the new video out?

rocco

Jul 4, 2007
I don't know how to hook my iPhone up to my tv? or if this is even possibe. if this is will someone tell me how to do this?
Thanks for your replies! :laugh2:

ZodiacfreaK

Bronze
Jan 11, 2007
woah now, actually it appears that those cables are not compatible with the iPhone. Normally iPods have three pins in the headphone jack, left audio, right audio, and video. With the iPhone, it seems to have R + L audio and then the third one is used for phone specific stuff like alerts I think? Supposedly the video out isn't technically available as it is a cable that attaches through the serial port on the bottom of the iPhone and it hasn't been added to Apple's store yet. At least I am pretty sure of that.

That's the AV cable listed in the iPhone accessories. I can only assume that if it's there, that it would work with the iPhone as well.

"The Component AV Cable connects to your iPod or Universal Dock via the 30-pin dock connector and to your TV, home theater receiver, or stereo receiver via the component (Y, Pb, and Pr) video and red/white analog audio ports. The cable also features a USB connector that you can plug into a power source, such as a computer or the included USB Power Adapter."

At least that's the way I read it.

ZodiacfreaK

Bronze
Jan 11, 2007
..it only reads iPod, it doesn't say anything about the iPhone and under "Compatable Products" the iPhone is not listed.

More confirmation here.

Last edited by a moderator:
..it only reads iPod, it doesn't say anything about the iPhone and under "Compatable Products" the iPhone is not listed.

[UPDATE] No the cable referrenced above will NOT work, just talked to Apple support and they confirmed that the correct cable will not be in stores until later this week.

More confirmation here.
The COMPOSITE cables will not work.... the COMPONENT cables will.

Two different cables.

ZodiacfreaK

Bronze
Jan 11, 2007
Alright I think you got me there :), sorry for the confusion.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
As great as having Component is, its also a detriment for travelers. Most hotels don't have TVs with component inputs, and hotels are the only place I ever use TV Out. I find it very convenient to have something to watch when in a different town that doesn't have the same local TV schedule.

I'm crossing my fingers these accessories don't have an AA chip in them so that we can get some 3rd party composite cables into the mix.

4U2NV

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
The COMPOSITE cables will not work.... the COMPONENT cables will.

Two different cables.
So the component cables will work even though it doesn't have the iPhone in the compatibility list? This would be an awsome find if they do. I hated to hear that the iPhone can not have a video out. :(