How do you work out?

H

Hayesimus

So I've had a membership to the gym forever! But i never go. Well, i finally found a workout buddy and if I can get him on the ball, i'll finally be going regularly. I'm already pretty lean. But I'm wanting to build up in certain places. Chest, shoulders, arms and legs and ass. :p Just a couple areas. :D

So do you have any favorite workouts or secret tips on gettin results?

chcorey52

Silver
Dec 25, 2007
I mostly do cardio like tennis but every once in a while I just get on the bench or squats.....pretty simple workout for me

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Just some basics you probably already know, but just in case:

If you're looking at weights to try to bulk up in certain places, then doing sets with more weight / lower number of reps tends to help. Less weight / more reps is more toning than adding bulk

Doing some cardio as many days of the week as you can is always a good thing.

And - just my personal view here - doing a lot of things that use your own body weight (push ups, pull ups, dips etc.) leaves you more flexible and athletic than just doing weights kinda stuff ...

uPhone559

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Get yourself some CytroGainer, Muscle Milk, Omega 3 suppliments, GNC Mega Man Sport Vitamins and start lifting heavy weights! No more fast food!
Good Luck

darklight

Mar 23, 2008
Boston.
I love the bench press.

and the squatting station.

those are the two things I know I can challenge myself in.

darklight

Mar 23, 2008
Boston.
"If you're dog is fat, you don't get enough excersise."

-idk

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Get yourself some CytroGainer, Muscle Milk, Omega 3 suppliments, GNC Mega Man Sport Vitamins and start lifting heavy weights! No more fast food!
Good Luck
hehe... a friend of mine (who is gay) drinks Muscle Milk quite a bit. Last summer he was going out of the country for a while (Thailand), and he had a bunch left over, so he sold it to a mutual friend. Naturally, the mutual friend wrote him a check, and being the anal dude that he is, wrote in the notes "for Muscle Milk". I've forgotten exactly why, but for one reason or another my gay friend ended up having to mail the check to his home just before he left. So in a couple of days he gets a frantic phone call from his mom (who knows he's gay) wanting to know just what the hell he has been up to in Thailand.

believe it or not, this has nothing to do with Hayes, and is a true story.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
So I've had a membership to the gym forever! But i never go. Well, i finally found a workout buddy and if I can get him on the ball, i'll finally be going regularly. I'm already pretty lean. But I'm wanting to build up in certain places. Chest, shoulders, arms and legs and ass. :p Just a couple areas. :D

So do you have any favorite workouts or secret tips on gettin results?
I like the treadmill, but I'm an old fart. I never liked going to the gym. When it was popular, I was really into the Racquetball scene; I would go two or three times/week. Bikes are great, but it takes a while to build up your endurance. It's also hard to ride a bike when it's raining outside.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
^^exactly.

Protein supplements will help to add some quick muscle mass. You'll want to avoid too much cardio so you don't just burn off anything you've put on, unless you have a bit of pudge you're trying to get rid of.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I like to run, but my knee is bad now, so I do the elliptical machine a lot. I do run some, but only in circuits with weight training. I will jog a lap, then do some squats, then run a lap and do some abs, etc.... Now, this is not what the men at the gym usually do. But it burns a lot of calories (I am not naturally lean).

You may want to hire a trainer, (or find a friend who knows the proper form) so you do not hurt yourself. Also, if you do the exercises with proper form, they will do more good by isolating the correct muscle.

There are also lots of books that give examples of workouts with pics of proper form. I started with Body for Life by Bill Phillips. It helped me learn how to eat better and taught me form on many basic exercises. I think Men's Health has some good articles and workout plans. I enjoy reading that magazine (even as a girl), and it is not as into the steroid-men as Muscle & Fitness.

I can discuss the gym stuff forever. I love my workin' out. (I also love my eatin', so it evens out)

H

Hayesimus

well my knee/knees are not very sturdy. They hurt pretty badly when I do squats and the like. I'm really wanting to go crazy with the butterflies. And I've tried protein shakes and they don't seem to help me. And also... I just died laughing at acosmichippo's story. Totally made my day! LOL

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
if you've got bad knees, you should definitely give swimming a shot.

i've got an ankle that's pretty f'ed up, so i had to pretty much quit all of the athletic activities i used to do (primarily basketball), and start swimming. I like it much more than i thought i would. It forces you away from everything... you can't hear anyone else's crappy music blaring on the other side of the room, or clanking of weight machines, or humming of treadmills, or cars honking as they're passing you by... and you can't exactly take your iPhone with you. I've found it's better than just 'exercise'.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
if you've got bad knees, you should definitely give swimming a shot.

i've got an ankle that's pretty f'ed up, so i had to pretty much quit all of the athletic activities i used to do (primarily basketball), and start swimming. I like it much more than i thought i would. It forces you away from everything... you can't hear anyone else's crappy music blaring on the other side of the room, or clanking of weight machines, or humming of treadmills, or cars honking as they're passing you by... and you can't exactly take your iPhone with you. I've found it's better than just 'exercise'.
I do like swimming. I was training for a tri when I hurt my knee. Maybe I will swim some this weekend...

H

Hayesimus

well during the summer I usually swim almost every afternoon. Weather permitting. I haven't started yet though. Maybe soon.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
the only thing to remember (well, not ONLY...) is that the stroke you use DOES matter. For instance, if you have bad knees, stay away from breast. Of course, it would be pretty obvious it was a bad idea pretty early in your workout.