How does Apple Music compare to Spotify, other services?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by silvermoon, Jul 2, 2015.

1. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Did anyone get a chance to try it? What do you think? How is it compared to other media streaming services? Pandora, Spotify, etc. You get a 3 month free trial with sign-up so I'm thinking about trying out the service.

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Well, I know it makes my girlfriend grumpy.

3. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

I can really only compare it to rhapsody which I've been using for years. After playing with it for a few minutes :

On the plus side is recommended paylists seem better. And the family pricing is better.

On the minus side (some of these might not be true since really only spent a short time with it )

- I'm a PC guy. ITunes in the mac: very good software. On Windows: not so good. I'm concerned about being dependent on that getting better.

- I couldn't find a way to download music for offline listening in the PC (You can on the phone )

- I couldn't find a way to control stream quality. sometimes you want to use a crappy sample rate because you've got a crappy or expensive Internet connection )

- doesn't work on Android yet (I live in a mixed house)

- Max quality is not as good

- seems more complicated.

I'll do the three months but I doubt I'll switch.

4. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

I have a Spotify account and have been using Apple Music for comparison. We also have Pandora (free) on our Squeezebox in our kitchen. One thing I need to see is if can create playlists of favorite artists without having to add bunches of songs per artists. In other words, I just need to learn the in-and-outs of basic list creation. So far, I'm loving the numbers of artists who have content I can stream. I was wowed to find Magna, Roxy Music, and other obscure favorites of mine, for example.

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Spotify offers a good bit Apple Music does not. Like theme music from the TV shows. I'm seeing a lot who like Spotify better and vice versa. So one needs to compare for themselves. I'm saving my free 3 months to include Christmas music. But I won't subscribe. T-Mobile users like Spotify better because the data used off wifi doesn't count against their plan. You have 3 free months to decide.

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

What's the price comparison for 6 family members?

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The Verge reports that "Spotify plans to match Apple Music’s very cheap family plan."

According to the linked article, "Apple offers a family plan that can be shared by up to six people for $14.99. Spotify and Rdio also offer family plans, but those cost $14.99 for two people, and $29.99 for five."

So Apple is cheaper, at least for the moment, for family plans.

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Yep. 3 Members= 20.

10. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

I just got into Apple music and think it's awful. I was expecting something song the lines of Spotify but as far as I can tell it's not. I can't search for a single song that I want and add it to my music. I can get an artists "station" but sometimes I don't like all of an artists songs. Maybe I'm missing something but even if I subscribe to Apple Music I still have to buy single songs in iTunes. What a mess

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Apple Music is pretty awesome. I didn't use Spotify, but I've heard a lot of people online say Apple Music is a lot better because it's much better at suggesting new music you might like. It takes a little bit of usage to figure it all out, but it works great. I can search for single songs just fine. I think you're looking in the wrong spot. Go to My Music > Apple Music > Search (upper right)> and then look at the song listings rather than scrolling all the way down to stations. From there, you can add it to playlists or save it to your library. You can also save it to the device so it gets stored locally and will be available offline. You might want to remove the @Connect tab to remove some of the clutter and get your playlists tab back. I posted directions for that here. Additionally, you can ask Siri to play genres or specific artists and they will stream without ads or skip limits. If you find something you like, you can save it with one of the methods I stated earlier.

12. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

I think you're right I was doing the search wrong. So if this is right it should kill off iTunes wouldn't it? Thanks for the help btw

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm not sure what you mean by killing off iTunes. Your iTunes music will remain on the computer and you can still sync music to the phone. You might be referring to iCloud Library, which is required for full functionally of Apple Music and makes all of your music available on each of your devices via the cloud. I have it enabled, but I still have music synced to my phone and can listen to it offline just as I always have.

14. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

I don't think I'm doing a good job of explaining myself, sorry. I probably don't fully understand Apple Music either so bear with me. I meant if people can now pay $9.99 a month and get unlimited streaming of their favorite songs why would they continue to pay $1.29 a song on iTunes for the same thing? Or am I missing the point altogether? :-p

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Most won't. I'm not. If I cancel the subscription, I'll go back and buy some of the stuff I really liked during the trial period.

16. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

Ah..... Good point my friend. Of course I'm not looking at the big picture. Not everyone will continue with the Music app. I'll shut up now ha!

17. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Once you buy it, it's yours. If you discontinue your subscription for whatever reason, those purchased songs remain yours. The Music songs you will lose.

18. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

So far, these are the two big benefits of Apple Music over Rhapsody. It "guesses" at what I like better. And of course because it's the apple solution it works with Siri without having to jailbreak. The downside is that the recommended playlists are short. Rhapsody's "curated" lists are much longer, so you can pick one and you've got music for quite a while.

Not enough benefit yet for me to want to switch, except for maybe family pricing.