How does auto brightness work?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by radtechy, Sep 28, 2013.

1. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

I turn it on I don't see any changes. What is the purpose of using it instead of leaving it on half like the way I usually do?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The light sensor detects ambient light and adjusts the brightness accordingly. Leaving it in the middle will result in it being too bright in the dark and too dim in the light, so you'll need to adjust it at times. Auto-brightness eliminates or at least decreases the frequency at which it will need to be manually adjusted.

3. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I am glad you ask I think too it does not work.
    I like 100% bright screen and I noticed the auto was turned on but the screen never changed or dimmed. So I tested it and turned it low but it never went up in the dark

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've been using it for a while and it works great for me.

5. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

Thanks Europa.

So as far as battery drainage I guess its a wash for having it always on medium as to having it adjusted as necessary?

Also with the life proof screen protector I get glare outdoor and couldn't see the screen cause like you said it was too dark so I'll try this for the future. I do have to say though having the control panel made tweaking the brightness very convenient

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

6. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

Someone once told me to set the slider to the minimum brightness you're willing to accept. Since then, it's worked perfectly for me.

7. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

That is correct. If you turn on auto brightness and turn the slider way up, you won't see any difference in low or medium light.

also, brightness doesn't get automatically adjusted down, only up. Not sure why that is exactly.