How does auto brightness work?

radtechy

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 20, 2011
I turn it on I don't see any changes. What is the purpose of using it instead of leaving it on half like the way I usually do?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The light sensor detects ambient light and adjusts the brightness accordingly. Leaving it in the middle will result in it being too bright in the dark and too dim in the light, so you'll need to adjust it at times. Auto-brightness eliminates or at least decreases the frequency at which it will need to be manually adjusted.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I am glad you ask I think too it does not work.
I like 100% bright screen and I noticed the auto was turned on but the screen never changed or dimmed. So I tested it and turned it low but it never went up in the dark
I've been using it for a while and it works great for me.

radtechy

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 20, 2011
Thanks Europa.

So as far as battery drainage I guess its a wash for having it always on medium as to having it adjusted as necessary?

Also with the life proof screen protector I get glare outdoor and couldn't see the screen cause like you said it was too dark so I'll try this for the future. I do have to say though having the control panel made tweaking the brightness very convenient

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
That is correct. If you turn on auto brightness and turn the slider way up, you won't see any difference in low or medium light.

also, brightness doesn't get automatically adjusted down, only up. Not sure why that is exactly.