How does iCloud Drive work?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by kerriberri, Sep 17, 2014.

1. kerriberri

kerriberri Contributor
    Bronze

I'm a little confused by this. How does it work? Is it an app because I don't see it after the update? Apples website isn't much help. I remember it asking me to enable it after the update but after that I'm lost. Thanks :)

Sent using iCafe app

2. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I believe it just replaces iCloud.

3. kerriberri

kerriberri Contributor
    Bronze

Ok, thank you :)

Sent using iCafe app

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

In what way? I don't see anything like was shown in WWDC. Like with folders and stuff.
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1411002711.839525.jpg

5. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

I've been looking at it, too. I don't quite get it, but I think it is not like the Dropbox or Onedrive apps where you can see all your iCloud data.

6. kerriberri

kerriberri Contributor
    Bronze

I see nothing that looks like your pics....

Sent using iCafe app

7. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I would think (my downloads keep failing ) that this feature will be available once you got your counterpart on a Mac? Also can anyone save something and get the Drive options ?

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I thought we could store files in iCloud Drive in folders like in OneDrive or Dropbox. That's how it was portrayed.

9. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Icloud drive hasn't been fully activated yet.

10. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Just figured icloud drive out. You have to use an app that uses icloud drive such as iWorks - Numbers, Keynote, Pages, or 3rd party apps that have been updated to support icloud drive. In was able to access icloud drive from my Scanner Pro app when I scanned a document.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411055515.795155.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411055530.530848.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411055543.526799.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411055553.045068.jpg

11. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I knida figured something like that . I asked earlier if someone can save something to see if it would kick in. I am still waiting to get my iPad uploaded and my iPhone is sold :(

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I did the same in that app, but can't find the folders and option list you show. How do I get that? Which button do I tap?

Never mind. I found it.

13. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I'm disappointed with iCloud Drive. I thought it would be an app like OneDrive, where we could store files as we do in OneDrive, Box, Dropbox and etc. I don't find it useful as it is for anything I do. I only have 5 gb in iCloud. I need that for backing up my phone, not storage. If they were separate with 5 gb each, it wouldn't be so bad. I see it as an attempt by Apple to make us use up our free 5 gb and have to buy more. With the apps I already have, I have an accumulative free gb cloud storage of 75 free gb of storage. I've only used a fraction of that. And I could add Google Drive for 15 gb more. So I won't even use iCloud Drive. It's too much trouble for so little.

14. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

We have to wait for app devs to integrate iCloud Drive with their iOS 8 apps. Once they do, it will be almost seamless just like Scanner Pro. I have Yosemite public beta 3 so I can take full advantage iCloud Drive because it's built into OS X. I can just drag and drop any file into any iCloud Drive folder and have it synced across all my computers and devices.

Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 4.01.44 PM.png

15. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I just wanted storage space on my phone. I don't do syncing across devices. My laptop is XP and is corrupted or something. I'm trying to save for a Mac.

16. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

I have uploaded documents from the PC/Mac based browser to iCloud Drive. But if I create a new folder, there is no way to see it on my iDevices. A set up like Dropbox would be desirable.

17. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Yeah. I'm not even going to use iCloud Drive. They just want to sell more iCloud space. I don't need it. I have 75 free gb of storage with Dropbox, Box, OneDrive and Folder Plus.