How does iMessage affect data usage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vball5153, Nov 27, 2011.

1. vball5153

vball5153 New Member

I'm new to all this. Please be patient. When I send a text from my iPhone with the newest operating system and it goes to another iPhone with the new operating system, the text shows in blue as an iMessage. Are we using data from our data plans, if the two phones are connected to the internet? If both phones are away from the internet - and the texts travel over cell towers - are we using data from our plans? Do iPhone to iPhone calls count against minutes when two different carriers are involved.

2. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

If the messages go through as I messages you are using data if you are not connected to wifi. As far as phone calls go most Likely you are using mobile cell minutes if you call an iPhone on another carrier.

3. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Depends on your carrier and plan. Generally AT&T to AT&T are not counted. On my AT&T plan all mobile to mobile calls are free.

4. Princess1179

Princess1179 New Member

You don't need to be connected to wifi to send iMessages if you're both using iPhones on the newest iOS. I doubt is takes from data plan. I have 3 children with iPod touched & they do not have data plans but must run on wifi to iMessage.

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

5. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

If you are not on Wi-Fi, iMessages count against your cellular data plan.

6. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

If you are not on wi-fi it absolutely takes from your data plan.

7. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Odd. I think I read that somewhere! ;)

8. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Unless your attaching photos / videos, I imagine the amount it uses is rather minuscule. But as others have said.... Not on wifi it does use your data plan.

9. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

Whoops. I was in the process of replying to that post a while ago and then got side tracked with dinner and then came back and clicked send. Didn't see your post.

I had to shut off iMessage on the wife's phone because she is on a limited data plan and sends pictures and video all the time. It was really eating into her data package.