How does iPhone work as an MP3 player?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

J8son

Sep 15, 2007
Well, if you can't tell from the title, I'm a total iPhone/iPop n00b. I've had a few cheap MP3 players but never any of the real good ones.

I have a MP3 library of well over 5,000 songs. However, I was concerned that If I purchased either an iPhone/iPod, it could not support uploading of these MP3s to the player.

Is it true that all music has to come through the pay iTunes service?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ldc4S

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
Dallas, Tx
No it doesn't matter if they are payed music or not. It doesn't matter if they are wma files either because iTunes will convert them into the right format when you add them to the library. :laugh2:

drconehead2000

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
EDIT: With no ability to edit the typo in the title, I'll allow any jokes for my illiterate sounding start to this topic. It was suppose to be "how does it work?" lol :)

Well, if you can't tell from the title, I'm a total iPhone/iPop n00b. I've had a few cheap MP3 players but never any of the real good ones.

I have a MP3 library of well over 5,000 songs. However, I was concerned that If I purchased either an iPhone/iPod, it could not support uploading of these MP3s to the player.

Is it true that all music has to come through the pay iTunes service?

Thanks!
Nope it will work with the mp3s. When you download and install iTunes, it will ask you if you want iTunes to search your harddrive. for music, it will do this and import all the mp3s. Simple as could be.

J8son

Sep 15, 2007
So, I would have to use the iTunes app to actually do the uploading to my iPhone/iPod, but it will play any MP3 on my hard drive?

drconehead2000

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
So, I would have to use the iTunes app to actually do the uploading to my iPhone/iPod, but it will play any MP3 on my hard drive?
Yes...lol...you cant use an iPhone at all without iTunes...unless you unlock it for another provider....but that is a entirely different issue.

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Yeah iTunes required... an iPod, or in this case an iPhone needs iTunes to copy the mp3 files to your player. Also, keep in mind that it won't retain your file structure for existing tunes either, it basically will re-organize everything based upon the id3 tags in your mp3's. This could be good or bad depending. When I got my first iPod I was annoyed that your couldn't just organize your music on the iPod with files and folders, but now I don't mind it as much. Its designed this way to be easy for the masses. There are still a lot of people who don't understand files and folders on a computer. Apple basically removed this barrier by doing it their way, so iTunes is required, especially with the iPhone.