How does it all work?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

cooper

Jun 6, 2007
Alright, I currently don't have any kind of internet enabled device, so I'm curious as to how this all works, as I am definitely planning on picking up an iPhone.

The data rates published in data plans only pertain to using AT&T's edge network, correct? Otherwise, through wifi, you get whatever rate the network can support? Or does AT&T have some kind of crippleware that affects your transfer even while using wifi?

I know it sounds like an unlimited data plan will be required, but in the remote possibility that that isn't the case, with your wifi enabled devices, does it still charge you for accessing the internet through wifi, if it's not AT&T's network, or is that free? I have heard differing explanations of how this works, including people saying providers will log time and charge you even if you aren't using their network at all to connect.

cooper

Jun 6, 2007
Thats one reason why Att is gonna f up this phone. Every hour I think about all the stuff their are gonna pull with existing customes gets me one step closer to not getting the phone.
Hmm. I remember when I utilized my phone discount offer, all it did was extended my contract another 2 years. I imagine that's the worst that could happen. No immunity from the 2 year contract for being a current member.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
Hmm. I remember when I utilized my phone discount offer, all it did was extended my contract another 2 years. I imagine that's the worst that could happen. No immunity from the 2 year contract for being a current member.
I think I'm over 2-year contract thing I was ranting about yesterday afternoon and evening and am now ranting about the required data plan. You know their gonna charge a arm and a leg for it.:(

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I think I'm over 2-year contract thing I was ranting about yesterday afternoon and evening and am now ranting about the required data plan. You know their gonna charge a arm and a leg for it.:(
Yeah, maybe... but maybe not! :) If Apple sells the iPhone for $600, I suppose ATT would want something comparable? That would come out to $25/mo. So maybe we're looking at somewhere around that number? I'm thinking $40/mo would be my upper limit, $50/mo would be pushing it, and $60/mo would be hard. But in the end I can't put a number on it and might end up paying more just to have it. :mad:

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA
No need to rant... Cingular/AT&T has NEVER REQUIRED a data plan for any phone they sell. It is an option, and is usually required for rebates, etc. but is not a REQUIREMENT to own the device. Data plans are available, and most of them are not cheap, but they are better than paying by the kb. Unless, of course, AT&T changes their policy and now requires a data plan, which seems to be your belief...

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
No need to rant... Cingular/AT&T has NEVER REQUIRED a data plan for any phone they sell. It is an option, and is usually required for rebates, etc. but is not a REQUIREMENT to own the device. Data plans are available, and most of them are not cheap, but they are better than paying by the kb. Unless, of course, AT&T changes their policy and now requires a data plan, which seems to be your belief...
I am expecting them to require a data plan for the phone.

nrs02

Jun 12, 2007
I was wondering the same thing. I just cannot see att not wanting to make more money off of this. I think cell phone companies are greedy!