How does iTunes Match work?

Discussion in 'iCloud' started by John Vicente, Oct 27, 2011.

1. John Vicente

John Vicente New Member

I am curious as to how iTunes Match is going to work. I have an iPad 2 and I originally set it up on a PC computer on the east coast. I have since relocated to California during which time I updated to iOS5 at the local Apple Store. Due to the update, I lost all of my music and now I have the following questions:

If I subscribe to Match for the $25 per year, will I be able to have my family activate it that on the PC computer located on the east coast?
    On the east coast computer, iTunes is set up under the same Apple ID as my iPad.

Any info, suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated before I shell out $25 for something that may or may not work

2. Richard_P_Harvey

Bronze

I don't think that ALL the details are known yet but it does sound like you can do exactly as your suggesting.

3. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

Yes the east coast computer will 'match' all your music to the cloud - and you will be able to download it onto your iPad - from the iPad. Though I think the process may be long (depending on how many songs you have). I am not sure if there is a download all option of if you will have to go song by song.

4. GailLA

GailLA Contributor
    Bronze

So far so good on iTunes Match. Right now it is still checking my library. I have about 400 songs left and it has slowed down, so those may be songs I ripped myself that are more difficult to match. Haven't seen how many I need to upload yet or how that works.

Update: It looks like I have 545 things that need to be uploaded. It is about halfway through. Considering I'm out in the country and uploads on satellite internet are slow I think it is doing well. There are no individual options as to what to upload or not.

5. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

I have a question about iTunes Match.

I had iTunes scan my media library in order to set up match but I had more then 25,000 songs so I couldn't set it up.

Today, I deleted some play lists so my media library should be less than 25,000. But every time I try to enable Match it says I have too many songs. Is there a way to reinitiate a media library scan to set up Match?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

6. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

Hi Jim. I have iTunes match as well and I believe just removing playlists is not actually removing songs from iTunes. You'll have to physically delete some of your music. My library is over 20,000 songs so I sometimes delete stuff I won't listen to often (or at all). Though I save the actual music files just in case. I've been having a lot of trouble adding songs to my library and having iTunes match scan my media (perhaps because I have my library stored on an external network drive). To answer your question; Yes, you can click on the Store menu and choose update iTunes match. It should rescan your current library at that time. Good luck.

7. B89rent89

B89rent89 Member
    Bronze

What's the limit for iTunes Match? 20,000 songs? I use it but I'm only at 5,000+ songs.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe Forums

8. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

I believe the limit is 25,000 songs. Once I got over 20,000 I started having lots of lagging problems as I'm running my library off a network storage drive.

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I doubt I could find 25,000 songs I like well enough to put on my iPhone or even store in the iTunes library. I'm picky about music.