How does Passbook work?

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
imutter OOO! U did a test drive using turn by turn! Nice! (y)

You've got plenty of time to test out Passbook. There are some issues with it anyway so keep on turn by turnin'!

I will try the turn by turn when I have to go somewhere just to see how it works, even if I already know how to get there.

Rhinohd

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Passsource charges! So I have to pay money to spend money. They also want my Apple ID and Password? I don't think so...

Keeping my keyring!

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Passsource charges! So I have to pay money to spend money. They also want my Apple ID and Password? I don't think so...

Keeping my keyring!
Oh...deal breaker.

Plenty of time to sort this Passbook thing out in the weeks and months to come.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
Jmp316,

Don't link...just interface with the Starbucks app alone. Go to the Settings tab, and complete that. You should be ready to rock and roll.
It's still not working for me and I don't want to use passource. Will just wait for some updates to come through...

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
Here is the short version - no one supports it yet (except Virgin Air and apparently Target?) The longer answer is that it will eventually be able to have you click links from email (maybe concert/plane tickets) and add them to Passbook.

radtechy

Contributor
Silver
Jul 20, 2011
It makes no sense to me. I went on the website for pass source and the FAQ section isn't much help

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
Ridiculous. Waiting for Apple to respond with an update or comment that the app isn't ready yet.

the watcher

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
,I'm a big Apple fan, I have 2 IMAC 3 Appletv and my iPhone and iPad, and they always work Flawless they just work, but now with passbook and maps hitting the market Unfinished it's making me start to feel like Apple is starting to show weakness, Maybe I'm wrong for feeling this way, but if Steve jobs was still here I don't think those Issues would be there

B89rent89

Bronze
Sep 19, 2012
From the iPhone 5 IOS6 user manual on Apple.com....Add a pass to PASSBOOK:
you can Tap Add a pass to PASSBOOK on a merchant's website or in a confirmation e-mail
and from a PASSBOOK enabled app(WALGREENS is a PASSBOOK enabled app.)
In order to add a pass to PASSBOOK you must be signed in to your iCloud account.

B89rent89

Bronze
Sep 19, 2012
If location services is turned On and turned On for PASSBOOK and a merchant supports
that, your pass will appear on Lock Screen when you arrive at Location(airport, hotel,
Walgreens, Starbucks, etc.)A whole procedure is described to prevent passes from
appearing on your Lock Screen also. 156 page iPhone 5 IOS 6 manual at Apple.com--
iphone---Support---Manuals.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Im thinking if i need an app like passport, then my life is too busy and i need to slow down and play with my kids:)...liking the the new maps though.

B89rent89

Bronze
Sep 19, 2012
At CVS Pharmacy at the register I have to take my phone out, unlock if it's locked, select the Cardstar App, find
the CVS card so they can scan it. I'd much rather have the card appear on my phone Lock Screen as I walk in
the door to CVS and be able to just hold it up for scanning when they ask for it. Airports?.......NO BRAINER!

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
I am wondering how the Starbucks card updates its balance within the passbook program. I used pass source to load a starbucks card but I see no way of how it would update the value on the card. Perhaps I'll wait until passbook is out of ALPHA.

Rhinohd

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Ok Walgreens worked like a charm! Now I need to get Starbucks to work.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
The American Express Pass for Passbook is now live. It does not duplicate all the functions of your credit card (you cannot use it to charge a balance to your account), but it will allow you to "get automatic transaction notifications, your account balance and customer service information — directly on your iPhone® or iPod Touch®."