How does the Health app work in iOS 8?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by bballrob, Sep 20, 2014.

1. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Anyone know anything about the new health app and how it works??

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I know you can create a medical id with info. It'll show when you click emergency on lock screen. This'll be good for me and my medical, but no one will know about it. I wish I can choose where it shows.

3. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Apple includes all of these apps on the iPhone that most of the time don't get used. Health is one of those apps. I'm wondering how it works too and if it is going to require third-party apps to get the most out of it.

4. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

There does seem to be an indication within the app that it will get information from other apps. One thing I'm interested in knowing is what other apps will dump information into health and how exactly that will happen. But I can't seem to find anything that explains that.

5. GlennS

GlennS Member
    Bronze

Apple has some sort of interface for third parties to develop apps that can be used as 'sources' for the Health App - I'm guessing that when the apple watch comes out, Apple will have an app that registers with it.
    None of my pedometer/Fitbit apps talk to it yet.

6. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Maybe I need to get out and do something healthy today on one or more of my healthy apps, and see if it tries to transfer anything in there.

7. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Did any third party app export data to the health app ? All i know is, it gathers data from third party apps and show you a graphical report. However, for iphone 5 and earlier handsets, these third party apps uses gps for tracking your progress. Starting iphone 5S and above, has motion sensor processor which detects your motions and stores directly in health app of ios 8 and does not require internet.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe Forums

8. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

The 8.0.1 update was supposed to let 3rd party fitness tracking and health apps to feed info to HealthKit. It does track your steps without 3rd party apps. You just have to add it to your dashboard.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411592540.354542.jpg

9. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

True but this is only possible for 5S and above at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe Forums

10. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I believe it will be kinda like a passbook for Health ?
    I got UP, Withings, Misfits I use at this time I also have a Fuelband I hope the watch will give us even more data to send to the APP

11. tybirdtybird

tybirdtybird Contributor
    Bronze

My iPad 2 there is no Heath icon on iOS 8.

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus
    using iCafe Forums

12. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

I have upgraded my iphone 5 to 8.0.2 and have moves app but am unable to get data from health app. ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1411707150.792554.jpg

Sent from my iphone5

13. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

me neither then I took my blood pressure and nothing I got an older fuelband I will charge and see what happens. The UP 24 is not working either.

14. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

I thought I read or heard that you'd need a new 6/6+ with the new M chip for the integration of the Health app with these types of accessory.
    YMMV

15. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

right I got an iPhone 6

16. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

Sorry. I'm among the "unwashed". I only just got my 5S in late December. I have to wait awhile before I can get a new phone.

17. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

If you have 5S, you need not wait to get new ones because your phone has M7 processor which is compatible with health app. My friend uses his iphone 5S to fetch data which gets recorded in this app directly without using GPS.

Sent from my iphone5

18. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Yipee... Finally MOVES is working the way i want... It counts the jerks on my iphone while i am walking... I have disabled location services and background app refresh too but still it count my steps on my iphone5... This was not possible as i do not have motion sensor processor but now it works using this app.... But i really don't understand what does motion sensor processor do exactly if this works without it...

Now trying to figure out why is this data not fetched in the ios 8 health app.

Sent from my iphone5

19. tybirdtybird

tybirdtybird Contributor
    Bronze

I just pick up iheath blood pressure monitor. Works great with Heath app. I'm going to get later iheath blood sugar monitor.

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus
    using iCafe Forums

#19 tybirdtybird, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  20. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Healthkit is what I was most excited about
    I have the UP 24 Band and the new APP (health kit ) I believe you need both installed and still nothing on Healthkit.
    I started wearing my Fuelband again nothing on the Health kit
    Somebody explain to me how it works ?