How does the World Clock work?

1662brent

Feb 9, 2008
any know how the world clock works i have my phone clock set to london the time is correct i.e 13.36 if i then set the world clock to london it tells me the time is 21.38 whats going on any idea

1662brent

Feb 9, 2008
no checked that before i posted but thanks any way

Comb

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
Are you in London, or are you on the west coast of the US? The world clock will show the current time in whatever city/cities you have listed there. The phone (home screen) will show the current time where you are at the moment.

1662brent

Feb 9, 2008
I’m in LondonEngland the phone clock is correct, surly if I select LondonEngland on the world clock this should be the same as the phone clock as I’m in the same place think that makes sense !

I unlocked my phone at the weekend could it be a bug

Comb

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
You're right, they should be the same then. Check in settings/general/date & time. Do you have "set automatically" on or off? What about the time zone? Is that also set to London?

1662brent

Feb 9, 2008
"set automatically" is on time zone London England also cot time zone support on strange but true

butrus

May 20, 2008
Am in New Zealand. Left my local time to Chicago. Upon arrival, world clock gives correct times but 'local time' on iPhone is 5 hours ahead. When I go to NZ time zone and set the time to local NZ time, world clock thrown out completely. Help!

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Turn the "Set automatically" to off for a minute, look at the timezone it then lists directly below the Set Automatically button. Change that as needed to your correct location and then turn the set automatically back on. See if that changes it. My world clock had my time an hour off and when I looked in there it had my location as cuper.... or whatever the default was. I changed my location in there to Phoenix then told it to set automatically and now my world clock is correct. I figured set automatically would figure out where I am since it is supposed to be automatic but it was wrong.

butrus

May 20, 2008
World Clock and local time

Turn the "Set automatically" to off for a minute, look at the timezone it then lists directly below the Set Automatically button. Change that as needed to your correct location and then turn the set automatically back on. See if that changes it. My world clock had my time an hour off and when I looked in there it had my location as cuper.... or whatever the default was. I changed my location in there to Phoenix then told it to set automatically and now my world clock is correct. I figured set automatically would figure out where I am since it is supposed to be automatic but it was wrong.
Thank you for your response. The problem occurs overseas. Here is what happens. When in the US I set my time zone to Central and set time accordingly. The World clock is set for London, Paris, Wellington, NZ and Cape Town. It works perfectly. When i arrive in NZ I change my time zone to Wellington. The World Clock remains correct but the local time moves ahead exactly 5 hours! I tried your move and it made no difference. Then, when i change the iPhone to local time, the world clock gets completely out of whack. Hopefully, someone will solve this.

Aug 22, 2008
Apple and the Weird Automatic Time Setting

So, I'm from a small island in the Caribbean called Trinidad and Tobago and this problem was affecting me as well. The problem is with the automatic time setting of the iPhone. Turn this off, and you're golden. I have no clue why this stupid automatic time set is so odd, but do yourself a favour and turn it off. All your world clocks will read perfectly fine.

Sep 8, 2008
same problem for san diego

any know how the world clock works i have my phone clock set to london the time is correct i.e 13.36 if i then set the world clock to london it tells me the time is 21.38 whats going on any idea
I am in San Diego and was experiencing the same problem. I had four international cities in my world clock view and they were all four hours behind. You have to go under settings and then date and time and change the option to automatically control time zones. Otherwise the times seem to get a bit screwy. Makes sense though.:)

GSY

Bronze
Mar 22, 2007
Remember the difference between London, England and Greenwhich Mean Time (GMT)

GMT (now called Universal Time Coordinated - UTC) never changes even though it's in the same Time Zone as London England. London does change during the daylight savings/standard time changes.

Make sure you're set to London, UK rather than UTC. Also make sure that time is set to update automatically in the General Settings.

Good luck