How does this scenaro work?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
May 31, 2007
Let me just apologize in advance -
even though I did a search I didn't really find anything 'exactly' what I needed. So here goes:

What I want to do is this:

I have a verizon contract until nov. I want to buy an iPhone, and use it just for wi-fi and video, etc....
BUT THEN come nov, I want to port my number over.

I know there is a way to get it to just do the wi-fi iPod features and no phone BUT my question is - can I activate it, cancel...then reactivate and port my number over come nov? How does this all work? Has anyone done it sucsessfully and MOST OF ALL is there risk of bricking the phone?

thanks!
C

J-Sauce

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
even though I did a search I didn't really find anything 'exactly' what I needed. So here goes:

I have a verizon contract until nov. I want to buy an iPhone, and use it just for wi-fi and video, etc....

I know there is a way to get it to just do the wi-fi iPod features and no phone BUT my question is - can I activate it, cancel...then reactivate and port my number over come nov? How does this all work? Has anyone done it sucsessfully and MOST OF ALL is there risk of bricking the phone?

thanks!
C
I bought my phone off ebay. The previous owner had activated the phone, but could not get their email to work.

When I received it, all functions were available except phone and SMS.

WIFI, EMail, Ipod, youtube, Maps....even weather.

I activated it using my old ATT number without any problems a few hours later.

I do not think the lapse in time would make a difference. You should be able to go through with it no problem.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me

thanks!
C
umm i saw somewhere in this forum that you can do that but im not sure they would let you reactivate it that much later cause they might think its kinda suspicious but then again they probably wont noticeand im pretty sure that it wont 'brick' your iPhone

J-Sauce

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
umm i saw somewhere in this forum that you can do that but im not sure they would let you reactivate it that much later cause they might think its kinda suspicious but then again they probably wont noticeand im pretty sure that it wont 'brick' your iPhone

They were kinda suspicious when I activated me phone. i will admit that. Though they never came out and accused me of stealing the phone, they weren't far from it. They actually said "I'm not saying you stole it, I just need to check a few things out."

and later on:

"Alright everything looks legitimate."

They then proceeded to walk me along the process which was nothing more than swapping the sim cards and plugging it right back into iTunes.

Im not sure about the whole process of porting numbers, but I assume it wouldn't work much differently than the way I did it.