How easy is it to jailbreak iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by Mark Frashuer, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Mark Frashuer

Mark Frashuer New Member

I just watched a video on how to jail break your iPhone 5. Looks very easy but the narrator said that the iOS 6.1 update to the phone should be through iTunes and not OTA. My iPhone was updated OTA. Will it still work?

Sent using iCafe app

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

If you've updated via OTA, don't worry. The only problem with the method you've used is that it won't allow you to downgrade... but why would you need to :p

I used OTA on my iPhone 5 and everything worked just fine. Make sure when you run Evasi0n - disable your phones passcode lock and re-enable it once the jailbreak is installed.

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Moved to Jailbreaking forum.

4. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I can confirm that it works with OTA, I did it this way with no issues.

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Unless you need to downgrade in the future. You keep missing our point. :D

That's the issue the jailbreak team was trying to caution users about. Sure, the jailbreak process works fine with an OTA update, but the issue is the SHSH blobs afterwards. You may never need to downgrade your firmware, but there have been many instances where people (including yours truly) have needed to downgrade for one reason or anothe and having the correct set of SHSH blobs was crucial.

6. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Fair point and one that I made a conscious decision to ignore. I've never downgraded my devices, never had the need. In any event, we will see if this issue proves to be a disaster for me later, so far so good :D

7. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

I did OTA to 6.1 . I have no issues other than the weather app & tweaks related to it but so is just about everybody else.

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

As I said previously, the OTA part could affect future firmware downgrades, not the jailbreak process itself.

9. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

You're missing our point Naps, we do not care about downgrading lol :D

Sent using iCafe app

10. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

Unless we go Back to the Future..., all we need is 1.21 jigawatts of power.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's not just downgrading. SHSHs give you the ability to remain on a jailbreakable firmware version once an update has been released if you need to restore for whatever reason. You restored to 6.1 yesterday morning, right? Your SHSH is correct version now, so this has become a non-issue for you. I know you weren't concerned with maintaining jailbreakabilty, but the restore took care of that for you. You just need to back it up in TinyUmbre...ah, never mind. ;)

12. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

You know what? I didn't think of that ! You are right, and yes I did restore this morning, I don't see the SHSH in Cydia though, maybe they are backed up but they're not displaying.

Sent using iCafe app

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I give up. These guys obviously don't follow the jailbreak team and have no idea of SHSH blobs.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They always take a while after a new jailbreak comes out since Cydia is overloaded. I backed mine up in TinyUmbrella just to be safe. I'm not sure yet if Cydia will be storing them for the iPhone 5.

15. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

yes I'll back mine up. Thanks

Sent using iCafe app

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's not like a full update is a PITA, either. It takes 10 minutes after you download the file. Also, you'll need the .ipsw if you ever need to restore even if it's still the current firmware and SHSHs don't come into play. I give up for a few hours, but I can't resist trying to help. Breaks my giant heart when people lose their jailbreaks. :p

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Yep. But I'm done. Seriously. Have fun. I'm just gonna crack jokes and moderate here and stop trying to be any kind of help at all. It's not worth the hassle.

18. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Naps, I've been jailbreaking my devices since the original iPhone came out, I know exactly what SHSH are and I've used them to create custom firmwares before, to help friends with their phones, I just like having fun with you bud, if you read back through my time here you can easily see that. Have fun, relax and have E check your blood pressure bud :D

Sent using iCafe app

19. Mark Frashuer

Mark Frashuer New Member

I did jail breakup iPhone. It worked! Everything seemed to work ok except the tethering. I powered down my device and turned it back on. It was stuck on the Apple logo and would do absolutely nothing. Went on the Internet and found a way to put it back to the way it was using iTunes. It may work for some people, I thought I'd give it a try. Never again.

Sent using iCafe app

20. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

At least you tried :D

Sent using iCafe app