How hard to replace home button

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by toxic_alien, Apr 26, 2012.

1. toxic_alien

toxic_alien New Member

My home button is seriously messed up and to be honest my thumb is starting to hurt I have to press it so hard and so many times to get it to work. Took it to Apple they gave me the run around. So I figure, I am pretty handy, maybe I'll replace it myself. Then I watched a few videos online. It looks a bit more involved than I had hoped. Does anyone have any experience replacing this themselves? I have all the tools but this is my only phone. Ideas?

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Before I tried to rip apart my iPhone 4S, I'd consider Apple Genius bar roulette. Maybe you'd get lucky the second time around. If you crack open your iPhone, you'll more then likely void your warranty. I'm not sure if there are ways Apple can check to see if this has been done, perhaps someone can chime in if they know.

3. fz1dave

fz1dave Member
    Bronze

Well if it's anything like the 3Gs it's not a big deal. I bet you wouldn't have to replace the button, just pry the contact tabs up a bit.

And if Apple isn't wiling to fix it for you, the warranty argument is moot.

4. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Hey Dave any tips on that? My 4S is fine, but my iPhone 4's home button is terrible--and it is out of warranty.

If it is something (fairly) simple I will try it.

Michael

5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Here's a video on how to replace a home button on an iPhone 4. It takes an hour (according to the video), but it's easy.:cautious:

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Watched that video. That's a scary amount of screws.:eek: I'm somewhat daring, but I don't think I would attempt this.

7. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

I was kind of hoping for something more like this: remove those two bottom screws, lift up front like hood on a car, fiddle with home button, close it back up. So much for THAT!

Michael

8. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

Mine is getting awful too. Sometimes it's almost unusable. Don't let them give you a runaround. Stand up for yourself. The squeaky wheel gets greased. That said, don't be an ass either. Firm but not belligerent.

Sent from my iCafe using iPhone app

9. Watcher

Watcher Zealot
    Gold

My replacement iPhone 4 has been doing that for quite some time, too. It doesn't really bother me - I'm like Meh... I'm waiting for Apple to step their game up and give me the big screen I've been waiting for or I will have to bid them adieu.

10. toxic_alien

toxic_alien New Member

I stopped by the Apple store again on my lunch break to try a different "genius" and still got nothing. I tried the "I've owned every single iPhone model and I have iPads and Macbooks". It was like crickets - but I guess they probably hear that a lot. Gonna try to take it apart over the weekend and I've already put my family on notice I might not be in contact if I totally screw it up.

11. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I'm not clear why they are not replacing it. It's still under warranty.....

12. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Well folks.... I went and followed the video and guide and tore my iPhone 4 completely apart. Three things:
    1.) It's not that hard to take apart.
    2.) It is indeed hard to put back together.
    3.) If you are going to do this to fix a home button, BUY the home button first. There are no contacts, per se, to fiddle around with: the button is sealed (and is amazingly thin for the tactile feel it provides). Did I mention that a home button is like $3 on Amazon (I have one on order for $3.08, shipped).

But most of all... WATCH THE RIBBON CABLES!

Indeed on reassembly I tore the digitizer ribbon cable. I didn't realize it had folded when I had put the LCD back in place. When it would not quite reach its socket I tugged--apparently harder than I thought. And ripped it did. My heart sank.

Bad news is that cable is permanently attached to the digitizer. That, in turn, is permanently married to the LCD. So that means I need a new digitizer and LCD assembly. Oh yay! Whaaaaaaaa

There is a silver lining, well I hope there will be one. For one thing, I dropped my iPhone 4 on asphalt soon after getting it. It had a case that didn't rise above screen so there were a few small chips in front glass. Not big by any means, and hard to notice. But marred it was.

Now I was not going to put a lot of money into my iPhone 4. So I was able to find a new LCD/digitizer assembly on Amazon for just 28.89, shipped!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZU5X36/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Oh, and a home button for $3.03.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YCXFR6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

So next week I will either have a fully repaired iPhone 4... or a box of parts. Wish me luck!

Michael

13. owieh

owieh Contributor
    Bronze

Replacing the iPhone 4's home button is VERY fiddly. Way too many screws, I don't recommend it for the faint hearted.

I followed one of the top viewed videos on YouTube to do it. It didn't take an hour. BUT BUT BUT, be very careful.

14. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

You need to find another genius bar. Wow.

Sent from my iCafe using iPhone app

15. snowtrooper1966

Gold

^
    That's my view as well.
    I can't believe you have been told they will not replace a hardware failure.
    I would ask to speak to store management.....

There is no reason u should even be contemplating your own repair to a iPhone thats still under warranty.

16. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

OK, I said I would report back and....

My old trusty iPhone 4 is now like brand new. The $28.89 LCD seems flawless. The home button works normally again. AND, those pesky chips are gone from the front glass.

So all in all I am very kinda glad I did it.

Michael

17. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Well after giving my trusty iPhone 4 a workout I can say it works great.

There is something to be said about using an iPhone you pretty much completely disassembled and put back together yourself (well, 5x in my case lol).

When you have it out on your work table or area it looks like a bunch of parts. Metal, glass, and plastic. Cold. Lifeless.

But when you have it nearly assembled, slide in to place the back glass plate, and finally turn it on and see the Apple logo again something changes. Those parts have all become one and the iPhone lives again. Hard to put into words, but it's almost magical.

Michael