How have you "organized" your life?

I am trying to figure out how to best "organize" my life in preparation for my iPhone purchase in a few months. I signed up for a .mac account, in anticipation of being able to sync my contacts, email, and calendar easily with my iMac. However, I have noticed that many have chosen to utilize Gmail, contacts and calendar instead.

What do you guys use/utilize to "organize" your life? Are there many advantages to using MobileMe vs Gmail?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
mobileme will offer "push" of contacts, calendars, and email (among other things)... meaning if you make a change on one device with mobile me, any other device set up to sync with that account wil immediately be updated with that info... without having to "sync" your phone directly with anything.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Mobileme is a very elegant way of organizing your life with the iPhone. I would use it, but I just don't feel like paying for that sort of service.

So I use Google. Right now I only sync my calendar (via nemussync on 1.1.4 jailbreak) and email (via imap) with Google and sync contacts locally to Outlook. But I'm in the process of consolidating all my contacts to Google in anticipation of a universal Google sync service that I see happening sometime soon. If not by google, by someone else. I can live without push email, but I like the idea of all my information available anywhere. For free.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Mobileme is a very elegant way of organizing your life with the iPhone. I would use it, but I just don't feel like paying for that sort of service.

So I use Google. Right now I only sync my calendar (via nemussync on 1.1.4 jailbreak) and email (via imap) with Google and sync contacts locally to Outlook. But I'm in the process of consolidating all my contacts to Google in anticipation of a universal Google sync service that I see happening sometime soon. If not by google, by someone else. I can live without push email, but I like the idea of all my information available anywhere. For free.
Bingo! Precise reason I use Google vs. MobileMe

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC

Yeah, i'm still on the 60-day (+30 due to Apple's F-up)... they still haven't quite convinced me to pay for it yet.

psylichon -- that is exactly what I was wondering; I have reservations about putting all my eggs in the MobileMe basket, and would probably prefer to have access to all of my info anywhere. My only problem is that I am not very tech savvy, so syncing my calendar with my future iPhone as you have would probably not happen easily!

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I just don't understand how, the "Push" part of Gmail works absolutely beautiful on WinMo devices. Yet Push to iPhone, is a nightmare and something, numerous people want. It couldn't be that hard to fix this problem, could it? Mark

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Since when does Gmail push to anything? The IMAP capabilities of Gmail do not support full push. I always had to forward to an exchange server to get Gmail push on my old winmo phone.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
And just to be clear... with a 2.0 iPhone (1st or 2ng gen) you can use a service like this

http://www.nuevasync.com/

to push your calendar and contacts with Google. This will fill the void that Nemussync does for me now on 1.1.4. Right now Nuevasync doesn't push Gmail, but I bet it will soon.

Or else Google could just get their act together and offer their own push solution. This is the thing I'm really hoping and waiting for.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Since when does Gmail push to anything? The IMAP capabilities of Gmail do not support full push. I always had to forward to an exchange server to get Gmail push on my old winmo phone.
I believe that the Push capability was added to Gmail months ago. It works great on my Mogul (WinMo 6.1). Before the send button is finished being released, the email is in my in box on my Mogul....Mark

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Cut & Paste (Obviously not on iPhone) from Proud Geeks Blog.

Gmail now allows people to connect via IMAP — effectively giving people the “power” to instaneously push Gmail emails to their mobile devices, computer programs, and favorite webmail services. And if you’ve been a regular reader of my blog, you know how much an advocate I am of using Chatter on Palm Treos, using Gmail AND Fastmail.fm. Now that Gmail offers IMAP, you can just drop Fastmail and use Gmail by itself.

Another article from Wireless Week:
Gmail Offers Push Services
By Wireless Week Staff
WirelessWeek - August 28, 2007

In more e-mail news, Google's Gmail is now being offered as a push e-mail service, thanks to an upgrade of Emoze's push e-mail software application. Emoze already offers free push e-mail service to a broad range of data sources and is compatible with an array of mobile device operating systems.
Unlike other mobile e-mail providers, Emoze service does not require users' mobile devices to periodically dial-out and check for new messages. Emoze push e-mail automatically acts to route messages to users' handsets in real-time.
"Gmail is one of the top e-mail services in the world and we're recognizing the trend of businesss people and small firms using their Gmail as their main and functional businesss e-mail account," Benny Ballin, CEO of Emoze, said in a statement. "Our application is not Java-based. This approach helps to significantly improve reliability, stability and performance of wireless devices such as battery consumption, CPU load and memory usage. By using the native contact and calendar clients of each handset as shipped by the handset vendor, we ensure the best possible user experience."
Gmail's push service is free; users can download it directly to their handsets from Emoze's mobile Website.