How have your typing skills changed?

iCop

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Tucson, AZ.
Using a computer I type with only a few fingers at an average of 40wpm. It took a week or so, but now on my iPhone I am typing at an average of 51wpm using my left thumb and right index finger. The auto fix never seems to let me down. I am typing MUCH faster and more accurate than I ever did on a regular keyboard or my old Treo, with rarely any mistakes. How about you?

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
wow 50wpm is very very fast on a phone. I type around 30wpm with no errors. I actually like typing in potrait mode better then landscape mode. Either way nice job. Getting a little better too, but one thing I've noticed is that moving and typing doesn't work well for me at all. I love it though.

iCop

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Tucson, AZ.
Trust me, I am surprised too. When my girlfriend saw me typing on it yesterday she said there was no way in hell I was actually typing words correctly, then i showed her and she was shocked. To be honest, while typing i probably made errors on 40-50% of the words, but I found that I really can trust the auto fix feature. Its too bad though that the auto fix doesn't work when trying a reply here. Without that feature I kant tipe vary whell :cool:

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
I actually noticed that also I have come to trust the auto correcting feature too and can type pretty quickly I love it

Iwantmymtv35

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
It will work sometimes for me. Sometimes I have to type something, erase it and then try it again, or it will work if you go back to home, and then back to Safari.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Trust me, I am surprised too. When my girlfriend saw me typing on it yesterday she said there was no way in hell I was actually typing words correctly, then i showed her and she was shocked. To be honest, while typing i probably made errors on 40-50% of the words, but I found that I really can trust the auto fix feature. Its too bad though that the auto fix doesn't work when trying a reply here. Without that feature I kant tipe vary whell :cool:
I have to say I have been impressed with the auto correct thing. You really have to let it do it's thing, at least in my experience. At first I was taking too much time watching it, and waiting. Now I just fly along and it seems to work much better.

BTW: I don't recall auto correct ever not working when using it in the forums here (heck, that's where I've done most of my iPhone typing to date).

--
Mike

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Using a computer I type with only a few fingers at an average of 40wpm. It took a week or so, but now on my iPhone I am typing at an average of 51wpm using my left thumb and right index finger. ...
Just a friendly warning to all the text'ers. Thumbs weren't made to move like this. Hotels are already offering special hand massages to Blackberry users, and England is (or has thought of) banning text'ing by anyone under twelve because of so many kids losing the use of their hands! So just be careful if you do it a lot, and start feeling pain.

When you get older, and you have to have operations on both hands for carpal tunnel, you'll regret using thumbs. Man, if only I'd listened to older folk when I was younger, I would have a) more of my own teeth, and b) less problems with my back from laying on soft couches. No kidding, your Mom was right about everything !

:eek:

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Just a friendly warning to all the text'ers. Thumbs weren't made to move like this. Hotels are already offering special hand massages to Blackberry users, and England is (or has thought of) banning text'ing by anyone under twelve because of so many kids losing the use of their hands! So just be careful if you do it a lot, and start feeling pain.

When you get older, and you have to have operations on both hands for carpal tunnel, you'll regret using thumbs. Man, if only I'd listened to older folk when I was younger, I would have a) more of my own teeth, and b) less problems with my back from laying on soft couches. No kidding, your Mom was right about everything !

I was typing a lengthy response and decided to boil it down to this:
If I have opposable thumbs, I plan on using them. :)

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I just used that typing test app again, and I got 43 wpm, in the free-form typing test. Which is damn fast for a single finger, on a cell phone. lol

iCop

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Tucson, AZ.
Origionally I tested my speed racing a computer program on my laptop and did 51wpm. I just tried the free form typing test for the iPhone and was only able to do 41wpm. I think it is probably more accurate. Still, try to do that on a Treo or Blackberry :cool:

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Origionally I tested my speed racing a computer program on my laptop and did 51wpm. I just tried the free form typing test for the iPhone and was only able to do 41wpm. I think it is probably more accurate. Still, try to do that on a Treo or Blackberry :cool:

Yeah, that's fast as hell compared to anything else. :)

spideybry

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Philly
i am pretty quick with it but i noticed that i have to backspace a lot with certain word abbreviations like "lol"... why the hell did Apple make that go to "LOL", i am sorry but that pisses me off everytime i right lol i have to go back and fix it... ne way the dictionary on the phone is pretty good and i too am trusting it more cept the "lol"...

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
i am pretty quick with it but i noticed that i have to backspace a lot with certain word abbreviations like "lol"... why the hell did Apple make that go to "LOL", i am sorry but that pisses me off everytime i right lol i have to go back and fix it... ne way the dictionary on the phone is pretty good and i too am trusting it more cept the "lol"...
Because abbreviations should be in all caps. It's to symbolize that each letter should be a separate word.

xer4492

Jun 29, 2007
I just bought my iPhone yesterday and I have already notices that I have improved greatly, I'm already using two thumbs and have began to five the auto correction feature all my trust. Btw first post on my iPhone !

iCop

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Tucson, AZ.
But think about it, how often are you actually laughing out loud when you type "lol"? I never really understood that one. If people were really laughing out loud as often as they say they are, they would never get any work done :laugh2:

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007

But, if you ARE going to use your thumbs, the iPhone is the better choice over all other competition out there. Why? Because the keyboard is ultra sensitive and you don't have to apply as much pressure on an iPhone as you do, say, a Palm Treo, to input letters.