How hot can the iPhone get?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Zachfj

Oct 10, 2007
Hello, I recently got the iPhone, and I am pleased with it in many ways. However when Im on the internet, my phone gets very hot on the top and top back of the phone. The iPhone doesn't have any exhaust heat or anything like that, or does it? How hot can it get? Can I use the phone even if its pretty hot? Is it just my phone? The only way I can think of cooling it is if i blow in the earphone hole? Or I put it up against a fan. Any ideas? Thanks.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
How hot does it get? The more drain on the battery, the hotter it will get.

The rear case (the aluminium bit) acts as a heat disapator.

Hello, I recently got the iPhone, and I am pleased with it in many ways. However when Im on the internet, my phone gets very hot on the top and top back of the phone. The iPhone doesn't have any exhaust heat or anything like that, or does it? How hot can it get? Can I use the phone even if its pretty hot? Is it just my phone? The only way I can think of cooling it is if i blow in the earphone hole? Or I put it up against a fan. Any ideas? Thanks.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Wow, these "hot" threads are becoming pretty "hot" here of lately...

It's up to once a week now it seems, maybe Apple should really look into this...

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
when playing music or video or movies it will get quite warm. What will REALLY heat it up is if the sun is blazing right on it while doing one of these tasks... Like laying on the car seat next to you while listening to music or whatever

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I would suggest that something may not be right. Mine barely gets warm even during long periods of use.
Mine is the same. I have felt it warm up a bit which is normal with computer chips in operation but never had it "Hot". As far as leaving it in the sun on a seat as mentioned above, I highly recommend against that. It destroys the battery and the screen can also become damaged by heat. I would put a towel over it or put it in a shirt pocket while using it in a car or other sun beaten place.

coolie

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
my phones gets really hot, but when it reach its max no matter what you do it can not get any hotter

Zachfj

Oct 10, 2007
Thanks for the replys everybody.

I cant believe Apple didn't put sort of heat going away device. By the looks of the iPhone you can dump it in the ocean and nothing will happen because of how few holes there are (never dump in water) I don't know how hot it can get, but I don't mean burning hot, but warm or very warm? I assume you can continue using it even if its hot. Its only hot in one place, near the ear bud that general 1/3 of the top in the back. The only vent up there is the earphone hole, so Im wondering if its ok to blow in there if necessary? Or is the humid human breath to much for the phone? I don't have any case on it, just a scratch resistant clear tape thingy on the screen. I have my brightness set pretty low too, don't think that would do anything.

Again appreciate the replys.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
If the phone gets so hot that you have to blow on it or hold it to a fan to try to cool it, I'd say that's a malfunction. I have my phone always encased in a Seidio case and even with heavy use, it barely gets warm let alone hot. If you still can, I'd say return it for another.

eTEK

Bronze
Oct 7, 2007
once you get the iPhone it will be hot for like a week or so. When i first got my iPhone like a week or 2 weeks ago it got hot really fast, now its fine.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
my phone will randomly get REALLY hot, to the point of I don't want to hold it. Not very often, but it does happen.
Have you taken it back to where you purchased it and shown them? Or, well, since it doesn't happen often, guess it'd be hard to show'em but I'd still maybe say something...

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Have you taken it back to where you purchased it and shown them? Or, well, since it doesn't happen often, guess it'd be hard to show'em but I'd still maybe say something...
probably more of a hassle than it's worth. Plus short of being unlocked, my phone has been modded in every way.

miphone

Jun 19, 2007
Herndon, Va
I bought my iPhone on iDay and it would always heat up when on safari...but I got tired of it and knew it wasn't normal(comparing it to other iPhones)so I went to Apple and they had to recreate the problem, but saw that it was an issue and simply replaced it with a new one.

P.S. this was about 2 weeks ago.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
I bought my iPhone on iDay and it would always heat up when on safari...but I got tired of it and knew it wasn't normal(comparing it to other iPhones)so I went to Apple and they had to recreate the problem, but saw that it was an issue and simply replaced it with a new one.

P.S. this was about 2 weeks ago.
Wow, they just replaced it just like that huh? Good for you! Especially being an "iDay" phone...;)

Zachfj

Oct 10, 2007
Thanks for the posts. I have to do some modding, good thing ;) but how long should I wait? I must say it hasn't warmed up in about 4 days, and I have used it a lot. Im nost sure if it stopped getting hot, but I think I should use it for another 3-4 days to see if it gets hot again.