How I got MMS to work! It works!

th3godf4th3r

Bronze
Feb 9, 2009
Sorry if this has already been posted, i never saw it

Alright everybody, until this afternoon i was very frustrated that my MMS did not work on beta 3. So i decided to downgrade back to 2.2.1 to use Swirlymms.

When i reverted back to 2.2.1, swirlymms didn't work, no matter what setting. Then i read a comment by another user (i will give credit to him when i find his name again)

This is what got swirlymms to work, then i updated to beta 3 and mms works

1) have a unlimited message plan on your account (the non-iphone one that includes mms)

2) go to http://www.wireless.att.com/support/chatLanding.do click on "Text and Picture Messaging"

3) Chat with a representative and say you would like to have a OTA pushed to your phone. They shouldnt ask questions but if they do, say you just got off the phone with a customer service rep because you were getting no signal/no bars on your phone

4) they will ask you to turn your phone off, they push the OTA's and then ask you to turn your phone back on and place a test call.

5) try sending an mms to yourself or someone else, see if it works

This is what finally worked for me after not having it work on 2.2.1, 3.0 beta 2 and 3.

Now i have only had it working for about 2 hours, but it still works! I will continue to update.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Good for you getting it to work!

Now that it's working, I recommend you get a 99 cent app called resizer. If you have trouble sending photos you have taken with the phone (I do occasionally) you can resize them first. I think some of the photos aren't compressed far enough for mms and so occasionally they will fail. Most of the people I send mms to have phones with much small screens and lower resolution so I resize the images pretty small (320X240) before I send them and they go through just fine. If I want to send someone a higher res image, I'll use email anyway.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I am so frustrated trying to get this to work, especially since it was working for me briefly. I had MMS provisioned and yesterday I got on the regular unlimited messaging plan on AT&T which is for non-iphone phones. Still no dice. I'll try chatting with the representative to day as suggested by the OP by asking them to push Over the Air programming but I'm pretty skeptical.

I'm peeved because I had them change my plan to the regular unlimited message mid-billing cycle. Even though it's the same price as the dedicated iPhone unlimited texting plan, the AT&T rep said it would be prorated. I hope it's not drastically more this month all because I was farting around with trying to get a feature working that's really not meant to work until the summer!
:(

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I am so frustrated trying to get this to work, especially since it was working for me briefly. I had MMS provisioned and yesterday I got on the regular unlimited messaging plan on AT&T which is for non-iphone phones. Still no dice. I'll try chatting with the representative to day as suggested by the OP by asking them to push Over the Air programming but I'm pretty skeptical.

I'm peeved because I had them change my plan to the regular unlimited message mid-billing cycle. Even though it's the same price as the dedicated iPhone unlimited texting plan, the AT&T rep said it would be prorated. I hope it's not drastically more this month all because I was farting around with trying to get a feature working that's really not meant to work until the summer!
:(
Try this thread which has just about everything known by everyone here to get it working. There are soo many or I would just tell you in this post.

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/iphone-3-0-mms-on-at-t.39232/

As for the charges, I doubt your bill will go up very much. Back when I switched from the $20 plan to the $30 family messaging plan the difference for me was barely noticeable. Since it is the same price that might be what helps not getting a high prorated charge.

Last edited by a moderator:

hotskate

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
Sorry if this has already been posted, i never saw it

Alright everybody, until this afternoon i was very frustrated that my MMS did not work on beta 3. So i decided to downgrade back to 2.2.1 to use Swirlymms.

When i reverted back to 2.2.1, swirlymms didn't work, no matter what setting. Then i read a comment by another user (i will give credit to him when i find his name again)

This is what got swirlymms to work, then i updated to beta 3 and mms works

1) have a unlimited message plan on your account (the non-iphone one that includes mms)

2) go to http://www.wireless.att.com/support/chatLanding.do click on "Text and Picture Messaging"

3) Chat with a representative and say you would like to have a OTA pushed to your phone. They shouldnt ask questions but if they do, say you just got off the phone with a customer service rep because you were getting no signal/no bars on your phone

4) they will ask you to turn your phone off, they push the OTA's and then ask you to turn your phone back on and place a test call.

5) try sending an mms to yourself or someone else, see if it works

This is what finally worked for me after not having it work on 2.2.1, 3.0 beta 2 and 3.

Now i have only had it working for about 2 hours, but it still works! I will continue to update.
I tried this and had them push a OTA and still no luck

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I know but when you do the above and nothing works, it sucks that you can look forward to prorated charges for NOTHING! It would be a little different if it actually worked. Oh, and the iPhone unlimited texting plan and the non-iphone messaging plan were the same price. The AT&T rep said there would still be prorated charges for switching mid-cycle! I don't really understand how that could be. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I know but when you do the above and nothing works, it sucks that you can look forward to prorated charges for NOTHING! It would be a little different if it actually worked. Oh, and the iPhone unlimited texting plan and the non-iphone messaging plan were the same price. The AT&T rep said there would still be prorated charges for switching mid-cycle! I don't really understand how that could be. :(
What did you do "above"? That thread has many pages with many successes.
Yeah prorated charges suck but I don't think they'll be very much for you.

hotskate

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
I know we are all going to keep trying up until the actual release of it in june. THis is just drving me nuts

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
You should also get a credit for the unused portion of the "iPhone text" plan. I doubt you will see any difference whatsoever in your bill since both plans cost the same.