How I messed up my iPhone 4S order...

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by Michael Baturin, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

Here's my story, let's hear yours. This one is a bit confusing but interesting.

I ordered my 2 iPhone 4S at 4:00am. They were ordered under a new account with new numbers. The plan was for my fiancé and I to get our current numbers to replace these new numbers on this new plan. Both of our current numbers are not on contract and are able to be signed to a new 2 year contract. Her number is on Verizon so the porting of that will be easy and there is no problem with it. Heres where it gets sticky. My long time number (for economic purposes) is on my parents AT&T family plan. My expectation was that it will absorb the new contract and replace the new number I was assigned. After 2 hours on the phone with AT&T MBO department, I've learned it's not that easy.

Because the newly assigned number is on a new 2 year contract as of the time of purchase, it can not be replaced with an AT&T number specifically. It could be replaced by a ported number from another carrier, but not another AT&T number regardless of of it's eligibility for a new contract! So after some time and explanation of company policy etc the senior manager I spoke to offered the following solution. Bring the 4S into an AT&T store on Friday and return it as I'm within the "buyers remorse" period. Then have my current longtime number (which I've already switched into my account) upgraded to iPhone 4S and just ask for the one I just returned to them to be put back in my hands with my old sim-card (which I have). At that time I will have the iPhone 4S with my longtime number. The guy was real nice and said he will personally be overseeing that this is what happens. My concern now is getting into an AT&T store on Friday to take care of this. Hopefully by 4-5 it will be cleared out.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iCafe app

2. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

Don't let your 4S out of your sight while you do that!

3. Michael Baturin

Gold

oh I wont be handing it over until it's all agreed on beforehand. Lol. And if for some reason it's not (and I know I sound wacky here) ill have a new permanent number.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iCafe app

4. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

That's why I use Google Voice. No matter what number I get I don't care because everybody calls my Google number anyway.

5. NewGuy

NewGuy Member
    Bronze

idk if this matters but unless your old sim is a micro sim then u cant put it in the 4s.

6. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

What do you mean?

7. NewGuy

NewGuy Member
    Bronze

I don't know what phone his old sim card is coming from. Unless hes taking the sim card out of a iPhone 4 then he wont be able to put it into the 4S. So he would have to get a new sim card and i don't know if that would be problematic for his case.

8. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

Good catch!

9. NewGuy

NewGuy Member
    Bronze

Thank you sir, I do what I can

10. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

all they do is program a new micro sim to his account its a simple process

11. Michael Baturin

Gold

I had an iPhone 4 so the old sim is a micro sim ;-)

12. NewGuy

NewGuy Member
    Bronze

Sounds easy, but so did his original problem. I just figured I'd give him a heads up just in case. But, he had a 4 so he's all set.

13. Michael Baturin

Gold

NOT a simple process as I've written in the original post. In fact they make switching phone numbers from within AT&T a nightmare

14. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

well when you port a number its being ported from a different carrier not sure why he thought he could get a number ported to a new contract on the same carrier

15. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

I figure it would be easier because they really wouldn't have to port it they just had to assign it to a new sim card.

16. NewGuy

NewGuy Member
    Bronze

Ya, but he was getting it of his parents name onto his. So out of 1 plan onto another, that's where the problem was. I agree though, I woulda thought it would b easy.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

17. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I need an AT&T guy like that

18. shugo

shugo Member
    Bronze

Will a 3GS sim work in iPhone 4/S?

Sent from my iPhone 3GS using iCafe app

19. Michael Baturin

Gold

I don't think so as the 3Gs used larger sims. Not sure though.....so aggravated with all this at this point. They actually told me their systems do allow a contract to be cancelled early and have the fee waived but only in cases of death or bankruptcy.

20. John07524

John07524 New Member

Port out your number from AT&T to a pre paid phone from Verizon or sprint and then after a few min or hours port it into your new account.