How important is an unlocked iPhone to you?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Unlocked or no?

• I absolutely will not buy a phone that is locked

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • It may sway my decision to buy the iPhone, but it will not determine it

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • I do not need an unlocked phone

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • I still don't understand the concept of locked and unlocked....

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
May 3, 2007
Sorry if this has been posted before. I'm new here as I'm sure many others are too.

Anyways, how important is it really to you that this phone be unlocked in your purchasing decision?

For those who don't understand the concept of "unlocked" it is when a phone is not bound by a single carriers contract. For instance, I currently have an unlocked phone. I can insert different SIM cards from prepaid carriers or should I decide to do so I could buy a contract from a company like cingular and work with that.

As far as my decision in this... I travel way too much to have any use for a locked phone. If I take a trip to japan, or europe, etc. I need to be able to put in a new SIM card, otherwise the phone is nothing more than a 600 dollar ipod to me.

ahactor

Bronze
Apr 4, 2007
Hickland, OH
Welcome! Well, it's not very important to me, as both my son and I who are interested in an iPhone don't travel much, and we will be renewing our contracts with Cingular in June. However, I have seen a lot of people on here express concern about that, so your question is indeed a good one. However, to answer your question, "No, it's not important to me at all". I hope that all of you other people can find an un-locked iPhone in the future. Good luck with that!

May 3, 2007
Surprising response so far. I guess I had forgotten that not all that many Americans travel abroad very often. I'm American too but my work just requires it.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
Yeah, but you know Steve Jobs travels a ton. He's going to want an unlocked iPhone for sure!

Point being, I think the purchase of the iPhone will require a two year contract from ATT but I think the iPhone will not be locked. I'm banking this was one of the other major points that the other carriers balked at when Apple approached them with the iPhone.

I travel a lot myself and HAVE to have an unlocked phone.

May 6, 2007
United States
I don't need an unlocked phone, as I am already on a Cingular plan. Doesn't really matter to me all that much, and I wouldn't count on seeing one in the near future, other than the occasional hacked phone on eBay :D

You know the Hackers will unlock it in less than a week ;D

Hey Mechanix and ahactor, where do you get your avatars?

miguel446

May 9, 2007
As long as it doens't hobble any features, I'd be all for it. For instance, I'm ont sure that the visual voice mail function would work outside the cingular network. I mean currently, my phone only accesses the vm of my provider (TMob). So with the iPhone, surely it will have some kind of interaction with the providers (cing) vm server. So, if i take an unlocked iPhone to tmob, will it still have that function?

jgh2k

Bronze
May 9, 2007
So Cal USA
I am sure Mr. Jobs already has an unlocked phone.

I am also sure it will take little to no time for someone to hack it. we should start a pool of how long it takes. my bet would be 6 hours from the release date :).

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I am sure Mr. Jobs already has an unlocked phone.

I am also sure it will take little to no time for someone to hack it. we should start a pool of how long it takes. my bet would be 6 hours from the release date.
that's just wishful thinking. It took hackers 18 months to devise a technique to unlock the RAZR V3 once it was released. 6 hours! Come on!:laugh2:

May 6, 2007
United States
Hmmm

I would guess that it will take at least a month, likely 2-3, for hackers to unlock it, if Apple does a good job. It seems like they are working closely to Cingular, so I wouldn't count on it. At the very least 2 weeks.

ahactor

Bronze
Apr 4, 2007
Hickland, OH
that's just wishful thinking. It took hackers 18 months to devise a technique to unlock the RAZR V3 once it was released. 6 hours! Come on!:laugh2:
I'd have to agree with him. I don't think that they were like "Hey! Let's let people hack it!" I think that Cingular probably made sure that they got their money's worth.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I voted for "it may sway my decision, but it would not determine it". I was looking for a choice of "I would prefer unlocked, but I'm buying regardless".

I like the flexibility of being able to switch phones without fear of breaking contracts. I'm out of contract on one phone and next month my other phone is out. Freedom! (well at least until late June).

I would pay a premium for unlocked, but it's not happening anytime soon.

-Chris

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
So, as long as you have to sign a two year contract to get the phone, what is the point of locking it? If I sign the contract with ATT am I going to go and put a T-Mobile chip in the phone? I have to sign a contract with them too just to get service. Now I'm stuck in two service contracts of which I used one to get a phone and the other to get the plan I want. Just doesn't make sense. Or maybe I'm missing something.

May 6, 2007
United States
Does not matter at all to me...
I agree, I could care less (I know, it's a weird saying...).

I can see the reasons for it and I wouldn't mind getting an unlocked one if they were the same price and easily available, but it will definitely not change my decision of immediately grabbing an 8G iPhone at first sight. ;)