how important is it to let the battery run all the way down before charging?

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
I basically use between 60-80% of the battery per day.. i never run out.

but it doesn't really make sense for me not to charge it every night anyway because I would certainly run out of battery mid day the next day and start a pattern of irregular charge times.

Does it really matter what % of the battery is remaining when you charge it? does it really make a long term difference?

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
It is actually detrimental to the Li-Ion batteries to fully drain them. Charge it as often and as possible.

seeker

Bronze
Jun 24, 2008
<quote>

Charge Cycles

A properly maintained iPhone battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 400 full charge and discharge cycles. You may choose to replace your battery when it no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs.

Use iPhone Regularly

For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

<\quote>

The above quoted snippet is from the article. I believe what it means is try not to charge it when the charge-left is at 30-80% very often, you might be wasting charge-discharge cycles in the process. Also you must try to get a few fully discharged to fully charged cycles in a month to keep the iPhone battery running properly.

On the other hand, from a layman perspective, if you charge everytime your charge goes 70%, you never are using the electron guys in the battery from 70%-100% in the battery.

Thanks !

Owgasm

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
so, i keep it connected to the computer every night when i'm on.
Is that bad?
once a month, i should let it run dead? then charge again?