how is AT&T coverage with your iPhone usage?

Deedubau

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
For me it works in most areas, but my home! AS much as I love my iPhone, i'm going to eventually want/need a more reliable service. It's not like I live in the woods in the middle of nowhere, just a normal neighborhood which should work fine. Eventually I'm going to want to use my cell phone at home and I don't know if att is going to cut it, how is your coverage?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
For me it works in most areas, but my home! AS much as I love my iPhone, i'm going to eventually want/need a more reliable service. It's not like I live in the woods in the middle of nowhere, just a normal neighborhood which should work fine. Eventually I'm going to want to use my cell phone at home and I don't know if att is going to cut it, how is your coverage?
You need to get a router for your home so that you are wireless. And that means your phone will have faster access without being on the EDGE. I have this as well as many other people here on the forum :)

Deedubau

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
I never said I didn't have a router, the point I was trying to make is that I need to be able use my phone 100 percent of the time and it almost never works at home

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Here in Boston, I have 5 bars everywhere, and I do mean everywhere, I go. We have full 3G coverage as well.

- John

Deedubau

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
yeah i work near boston and it works great there it seems like the small areas get worst coverage

neon0107

Dec 19, 2007
Round Rock TX
I am in round rock texas which is just outside austin and we have good coverage and 3G. Better than the coverage we had with verizon before I made the switch two months ago. Although last night I was at the car dealership getting a new car (end of year clearance sales ! ) and I had five bars and was trying to make a long distance call and it kept saying called failed. I tried about 10 times before it went through. That is the first time I have had a problem like that.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
yeah i work near boston and it works great there it seems like the small areas get worst coverage

That's by design; more people live/work in/near cities, so they get more attention since there is more usage.

I'm on the extreme edge of Tampa and I have spotty coverage in the house. But then, I had the same spotty coverage with Sprint, so nothing has changed.

What I did is to sign up with Grand Central (which is by invite only at the moment but is free). They give you a local phone number that can ring multiple numbers at once - so when someone calls that number, it can ring your iPhone, home phone, and even a softphone like Gizmo all at the same time. You can answer on any of them and even switch seamlessly between them - so if you take a call in the car on the iPhone and get home, you can switch to your home phone without the other party being aware of the switch.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
That's by design; more people live/work in/near cities, so they get more attention since there is more usage.

I'm on the extreme edge of Tampa and I have spotty coverage in the house. But then, I had the same spotty coverage with Sprint, so nothing has changed.

What I did is to sign up with Grand Central (which is by invite only at the moment but is free). They give you a local phone number that can ring multiple numbers at once - so when someone calls that number, it can ring your iPhone, home phone, and even a softphone like Gizmo all at the same time. You can answer on any of them and even switch seamlessly between them - so if you take a call in the car on the iPhone and get home, you can switch to your home phone without the other party being aware of the switch.

Is that for just the Tampa area?

BD997

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Boston, MA
im in Boston... no problems and plenty of 3G coverage when it comes to iPhone

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
When getting the iPhone one of my main concerns was service and it i was surprised to see the service i am actually getting. I almost always have service and more often the not its 5 bars. With verizon, i would never get service in my room and definently not in the basement. Now in my room i get 4 to 5 bars, and 2 or so in the basement. I am very happy

Curly

Jan 2, 2008
I have the same issues as the OP. Signal strength is great around town & at work; but I sometimes will get "No Service" in my house. Was not an issue with my previous AT&T phone.

tyoung

Bronze
Nov 1, 2007
So Cal
I am lucky, I get great coverage everywhere I've been, including EDGE. But, the iPhone gets a very week signal inside my house where my RAZR got full bars.

tyoung

Bronze
Nov 1, 2007
So Cal
Thanks for that. Looks like my house is right on the edge between Good and Moderate! Oh well, it works okay at home and perfectly everywhere else I've used it.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Thanks for that. Looks like my house is right on the edge between Good and Moderate! Oh well, it works okay at home and perfectly everywhere else I've used it.

Get a router for your home and you will then be on wifi for faster speed.

tyoung

Bronze
Nov 1, 2007
So Cal
I am picking up someones wifi at home, I get a full three bars. But the actual phone service is pretty weak, usually only one or two bars.

Elbacanazo920

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Bronx, NY
my re eption is good with my iPhone in the NYC area. Edge is not as bad ad I thought. But the iPhone still does not compare to the service that my razr v3xx had. Is it me or are razr's the phones with one of the best receptions

Dec 19, 2007
nyc
i have the same problem, everywhere else it works fine but in my bedroom i have no coverage and in the rest of my home im lucky to have one bar, i have a router at home so i can you the wifi when i want, but its just damn frustrating when i have no service the best thing about it is that i live in NYC,

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I live near Pasadena California, in a city and I get very bad reception from AT&T. Especially at home, also at my mom's house which is about 10 minutes away. I cannot make calls in the house, the calls usually fail or take forever to go through. I think Verizon has way better coverage in this area because I never use to have dropped calls and could talk from anywhere in my house. My mom actually had to end her contract with AT&T and get a verizon phone because it was so bad for her. I do get the wifi because I have a router but when it comes to calls, I have said it before, I miss Verizon. I think it's just a matter of where your at for reception. You would think in a city like mine you would not have a problem because its a very large city but I put in my address on the coverage chart and it shows it should be great and at my mom's house also. So I don't know.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I have the same issues as the OP. Signal strength is great around town & at work; but I sometimes will get "No Service" in my house. Was not an issue with my previous AT&T phone.
Hey Curlie...

What's in the water jugs on your avatar?