how is developing in C++ on a MacBook Pro?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I'm seriously thinking about getting one, and as long as i can finish my last year in Computer Science (heavily based on MS Visual Studio), then i'm gonna go for it. I know Macs come with a GUI dev suite... does anyone know enough about it to compare it to Visual Studio?

and i'd really love to use bootcamp with Linux... gets me all warm and fuzzy inside just thinking about it.

any input would be greatly appreciated.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I'm not a programmar type at all, but respect the hell out of most who are (I work as network / IT consultant, so also come across ***hole devs, but pretty rarely). Think your degree is a very cool one.

Anyway, so no direct experience, but this thread makes it sound pretty promising as long as you run XP in Boot Camp ...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, i could do that as a last resort. I was looking forward to leaving Windows behind, though. well, i take that back, i was looking forward to never having to have a Vista machine of my own. I could deal with XP if i had to.

i'd rather not have to buy XP again, but i'm sure i can find a pirated version...

**excitement building**

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Vista = don't blame you.
I am avoiding switching to it for as long as possible - and also sorely tempted to get a Mac ...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Glad to see you're back as well.

I highly recommend both of you get Macs. You'll find yourself wondering how you lived with a PC for so long as soon as you open the box.

- John

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well, i got it!

i wish i could say i'm posting from it, but i only have a dialup connection at my house, and i haven't made it to the Apple store to get the external modem.

although i may just spring for an aircard. might as well go all the way, right?

anyway, this thing rocks. it has exceeded my expectations, and i haven't even messed with bootcamp yet.

it should be noted that i am FAR from a windows hater. I think i will always have a windows machine of some sort (i know, i say that now...), but the attention to detail that Apple has when designing products, and the quality of product is just insane.

May 6, 2007
United States
Congratulations! I am getting a new MacBook Pro this week, and I can't wait. I have worked a small amount with VS and C++ and find it intriguing and challenging. Good luck with your degrees and such.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
thanks... i actually just exchanged the one i bought for the newer model today.

then i proceeded to take the new one home, bootcamp, and install MS Visual Studio. Tried a couple of things, and it appears to be working great!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah... i haven't had much of a chance to try anything in OSX yet. once things settle down at school, i'll mess around with it.