How is MobileMe gonna help me?

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I went to their site and tried to understand how it's gonna work for push email but I'm not sure I understand.
Will I have to get a @mobileme.com email address? to enjoy push email?
Will I be able to keep my hotmail email address?

It pisses me off how Apple always tries to squeeze more money out of you for stuff that should be free!

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
To get my Hotmail on my iPhone, I use a paid service called Izymail. They basically act as my mail server for Hotmail and I know they can simulate push for CrackBerry, so there is no reason why it wouldn't work for iPhone.

I just really don't want to have to pay an extra $100/year for this very basic push email feature

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Why should it be free? It has quite a few more features than email.

- John

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
you're essentially paying for 20gigs on a server to upload your crap to

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Why should it be free? It has quite a few more features than email.

- John
Honestly, very few people care about having their photos and calendar synced together. Most people don't use such "advanced" features.
$100/year to store 20GB, I feel like I'm getting raped...

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Honestly, very few people care about having their photos and calendar synced together. Most people don't use such "advanced" features.
$100/year to store 20GB, I feel like I'm getting raped...
No one's forcing to you buy it. If you don't want it... don't buy it.

You can buy a base model car. If you want OPTIONS then you pay extra. Poor metaphor, but it loosely translates for this purpose.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
No one's forcing to you buy it. If you don't want it... don't buy it.

You can buy a base model car. If you want OPTIONS then you pay extra. Poor metaphor, but it loosely translates for this purpose.
I know no one is forcing me to buy. I'm just saying that charging for these features is just not cool.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
20 Gigs of storage, email, website hosting, and much more. It would be a bit stupid of Apple to not charge for it.

- John

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Right. Just like Yahoo charges for premium email services, and so does (gasp) hotmail. :D

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I love my .mac account. It seems like mobile me builds on that and makes it even better! I am excited about the calendar and contact sync!

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Yeah I actually think its not bad value. And for web design no hopers like me you can use iWeb to create what I think are cool web sites without any feckin know how

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
If I pay for the service can I have multiple accounts on it? My wife is getting my V1 and we would love to be able to use the calendar and photo sync.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
If I pay for the service can I have multiple accounts on it? My wife is getting my V1 and we would love to be able to use the calendar and photo sync.
I'm pretty sure you have to pay for both accounts.

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
Yes, you can get a family plan, but not sure if it is worth it for two. We have it for the five family members and it's quite a deal. I think it's 179 for up to 5 accounts vs 100/ea?

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Yes, you can get a family plan, but not sure if it is worth it for two. We have it for the five family members and it's quite a deal. I think it's 179 for up to 5 accounts vs 100/ea?
this is only if you want separate email accounts. You can have multiple machines and devices sync for the $100

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
I want to find out what security is in place (encryption, physical security, information security) before I send company info there.

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
this is only if you want separate email accounts. You can have multiple machines and devices sync for the $100
It goes beyond just email accounts, does it not? Each member also gets an idisk, individual backup, and .mac sync among other things besides email. Yes, a single account can sync multiple machines and devices, but tied to one user's profile only. So my reasoning is that if you have multiple accounts on your macs, you may want to consider a family or separate plans. If you share the same user profile, most likely not. Yes?

We Beat U

Bronze
Mar 1, 2008
Am I reading this correct? Does this mean that I can buy 20GB of storage for $100 a year, or I can buy 100GB (20 x 5) for an extra $50? If so, this sounds like the better deal to me.
Family Pack

One-year subscription

$149
The Family Pack includes one individual account plus four Family Member accounts, each with its own email address, 5GB of combined email and file storage, and 50GB of monthly data transfer.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i think it says that the main account gets 20GBs, but the others only get 5GBs. So 20 + 4x5 = 40GBs.

either way, it's a more favorable GB/dollar ratio. I don't see myself ever wanting to store 20+GBs of data out on the internet though. That would take forever to upload.