How Is The Battery Life On The 3G?

Diablo25

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
PA
I did a quick forum search for this answer but came up empty. So, how is the battery life of the 3G?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Here is one thread on the subject. If you do a search with "battery life 3G" you will find more info.

Last edited by a moderator:

cabinets

Bronze
Jul 20, 2007
Atlanta Ga
mine is good and getting better. I keep 3g off unless I need to surf a little. Wifi off for same reason. I turn it on at 5:30am and off at 10:00pm. Usually 1/2 battery left. I send/receive about 20 emails daily, light texting. Moderate Internet. Heavy on music usage. TONS on the phone.

laststanding

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
mine is good and getting better. I keep 3g off unless I need to surf a little. Wifi off for same reason. I turn it on at 5:30am and off at 10:00pm. Usually 1/2 battery left. I send/receive about 20 emails daily, light texting. Moderate Internet. Heavy on music usage. TONS on the phone.

How come you still had 1/2 batterry left after Tons of phone calls?

TAEWING59

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
My battery life is awsome, i surfed the web (on 3G) tons, made some phone calls, tons of texts, and quite a bit of GPS, Got off the charger at 9 or 10am hit 20% at about 9 or 10pm... so the battery life is perfect for me, by the time it hits 20% im at home, and can plug it up... plus the battery takes no time to charge back up!

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
My battery was not very good the first few times I used it but after a week, it's getting stronger & longer lasting with heavier usage. I'm now happy with it.

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
i get 5 hrs of usage a day.. its good because my usage is all internet and apps.. i hardly ever use the iPhone for phone calls lol

TangoTango

Bronze
Jul 19, 2008
Las Vegas
Mine is good. 5-6 hours in 3G as expected, using everything in 3G like browsing, Apps, and maps. I can top up the battery as I head out from work, and I'm good for the evening.

Owgasm

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
hmms, in standby i get over 2 days with about 8 hrs of use.

I'm draining it again, testing it this time with, 3g, wifi, etc, movies, music, games :D

jbarrack

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
New York
www.facebook.com
I think if you use the 3G iPhone the same way you used a first gen iPhone the battery is just as good. What I mean by using the 3G like the first gen is that you don't have 3G on, don't use GPS feature to find where you are going, and don't use 3rd party apps. As soon as you add these things into the equation, yeah the battery life isn't going to be as good. You know?

I don't use my phone much at all during the day at work. I really don't use it at all. The battery doesn't meters doesn't move at all. Its all about usage.

thabayboy52

Bronze
Jan 27, 2008
I think if you use the 3G iPhone the same way you used a first gen iPhone the battery is just as good. What I mean by using the 3G like the first gen is that you don't have 3G on, don't use GPS feature to find where you are going, and don't use 3rd party apps. As soon as you add these things into the equation, yeah the battery life isn't going to be as good. You know?

I don't use my phone much at all during the day at work. I really don't use it at all. The battery doesn't meters doesn't move at all. Its all about usage.
whats the point in having it if you don't use it :confused:

jbarrack

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
New York
www.facebook.com
LOL yeah exactly. Like to combat this I have a car charger. This way if you do need to use the GPS feature which drains the battery a lot you can have it plugged in.

Jul 14, 2008
not true, my blackjacks battery was just fine and it was a 3g phone
Here was the test that was run:

Though the Blackberry is not listed, it doesn't mean it has worse battery life than the iPhone. I said all 3G phones will have bad battery life because 3G is a known battery killer. The phone you had was probably better at using the battery but it still consumed it faster than non 3G.

The article that did the test was here.

Quote from the article about Blackberry:

Two of them, the BlackBerry Pearl 8130 and the BlackBerry 8830, edged out the iPhone by 4 minutes, with average talk times of 5 hours, 42 minutes each. But the BlackBerry Curve 8330 lasted 6 hours, 8 minutes--a solid half-hour longer than the iPhone. All three handsets also earned Fair ratings for performance

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
Here was the test that was run:

Though the Blackberry is not listed, it doesn't mean it has worse battery life than the iPhone. I said all 3G phones will have bad battery life because 3G is a known battery killer. The phone you had was probably better at using the battery but it still consumed it faster than non 3G.

The article that did the test was here.

Quote from the article about Blackberry:

Two of them, the BlackBerry Pearl 8130 and the BlackBerry 8830, edged out the iPhone by 4 minutes, with average talk times of 5 hours, 42 minutes each. But the BlackBerry Curve 8330 lasted 6 hours, 8 minutes--a solid half-hour longer than the iPhone. All three handsets also earned Fair ratings for performance
i said blackjack as in Samsung

and it had better battery life then all my friends phones, a razr, an m1 by sanyo, a sidekick 3, and a katana

Jul 14, 2008
i said blackjack as in Samsung

and it had better battery life then all my friends phones, a razr, an m1 by sanyo, a sidekick 3, and a katana
LOL oops I'm so confused with blackberry and blackjack and black everything else. They all sound alike.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
Yep. Nobody should be complaining about the battery life unless maybe this is their first 3G phone.(or of course they got a lame battery) I get 5-7 hrs. usage with heavy streaming and I never turn 3G off. This is great battery life. The reason the battery life may seem weak is because you use the iPhone much more than a regular cell/smartphone because of all the robust features.