How is your WiFi performance?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Lately i have been finding the range on mine extremely lacking. Of course, there isn't a good way to judge this, but i'm seriously thinking my phone might be defective. While i don't expect the range to be as good as an actual computer's wifi card, it has been pretty bad for me.

For instance, today i was in a friend's basement with my Macbook and iPhone. His router was on the floor above us (directly overhead), and my computer had full signal.

but the iPhone could not even SEE the network.

like i said, i don't expect it to be ass good as an actual computer's wifi, but jeez... surely there shouldn't be THAT much of a difference.

so what's your experience? I'd like to think i might actually have a gripe before i present my case to the Apple store.

ZodiacfreaK

Bronze
Jan 11, 2007
Mine seems to be very strong. Then again it also depends on your type of modem. Like I use a wireless N router, but a wireless B router will be a whole lot slower.

Dec 10, 2007
blacked out
We have a router here at work. It is all the way down the hall around corners and walls. My macbook connects just fine with a great signal. My phone, not so much.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I've got similar experiences with the Mac getting a signal from further away, but sometimes they're right next to each other (and the router is very close by) but the phone won't recognize the router or the connectivity will be pretty low. I just blamed it on the Jailbreak but it could just be the phone I suppose.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well, I don't see how jailbreaking could screw with it that much.

I may restore again tonight just to check.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Maybe try a reset of network settings before you go to a full restore.

Also - I'm sure you've probably thought of this and maybe just can't find someone, but ... if you could find another iPhone user nearby then you could test signal strength differences between the two phones ...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
good point, but i'll probably have to go to an Apple store for that...

what prompted all of this was the fact that i just restored my phone, and jailbroke with iDemocracy, and then my phone wouldn't connect with my home's wifi. Then i went to my friend's house and had the problems mentioned above...

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Oh - if it's directly after a new jailbreak, maybe the reset and then (if no change) restore are worthwhile. Assume you already searched for any iDemocracy related WiFi fixes that might be out there ....

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well i just restored (no jailbreak), and i still have the same problem. So i reset my phone and the computer that is sharing the internet connection (basically acting as a router), and that didn't help. I guess i'll head to bread co to see how it works on theirs tonight...

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Ouch. It's a good call to try to get it working / tested with no jailbreak, just to rule out that whole element of things.

It's been a long time since I've had to mess with connection sharing via a computer - does that have a passphrase attached to it? If so, maybe worth resetting that and seeing if it makes any difference. That has worked for me with a WiFi router and iPhone after restores ...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, it's unencrypted... kinda frustrating.

when i go to wifi networks, and tap my network, the spinning circle does its thing for a few seconds, then i get an "unable to connect to this wireless network" message. The weird thing is AFTER that, i tap the blue arrow next to the network, and find that my phone has an ip address, subnet mask, and the address for the router and DNS server(my other computer)...

so i think, ok, maybe it IS connected. So i fire up safari, which immediately falls back to edge.

anyway, i'm headed to bread co now, and then to the Apple store if i still have problems.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
so... i took it to Bread co, and it connected just fine. Then, just to be sure, i took it to Best Buy, and it connected to our network just fine.

So, i just got home, and it connected just fine.

so who knows...

...the range is still kinda crappy, though.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Great that it's connecting. Not so great of course on the range, but maybe that'll work itself out or won't be an issue too often hopefully ...