How long does iPod touches last?

Discussion in 'iPod Touch' started by Iloveiphones, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

This is probably the dumbest and most idiotic question out there, but I'm curious. I have an 8GB iPod touch. I've had it for about 3. It's running the latest software (that can be downloaded) The wifi receiver is starting to go bad. I use it almost everyday. I ALWAYS use it till it goes dead. Sometimes it's at 30% and I run it down to 0, sometimes it's a full charge. It gets fairly hot when I charge it. I am very hard on the battery, I believe. It has been dropped on concrete, it has been sanded down, it has been dropped on my carpet floor tens of times. Most of the time it gets flung against my headboard or wall and goes down to the floor. I have it hidden under my pillow. And I has woken me up a few times when in the middle of night I throw it against the wall and to the floor. Has anyone's iPod actually died and can anyone tell me how much longer it can last?

2. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

If you throw it out of the empire state building top floor, I'll believe it will die faster. Other than that, I know people with 8 year olds iPod classic that still run just fine. I don't see why the iPod touch should die unless you're careless with it.

3. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

Anything will last longer if you care for it properly. If the hardware never fails, it should last forever. If you don't throw it against a wall ;)

White iPhone 4S 32GB.
    2011 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 8GB 15".
    White iPad 2 32GB.
    iPod Nano 16GB 2010.

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.

4. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I have a 20G iPod classic that is no less than 7 years old and still works. I have never thrown it against the wall or have even dropped it more than once or twice and it still works. I also have a 3 year old 16G iPod Touch 2nd Gen. that I gave to my daughter that she has beaten up pretty good and occasionally songs will skip and the volume will change on her. The screen doesn't have any cracks in it, but I do believe not taking care of it is the root of her issues with it. Bottom line is take better care of your devices. My youngest takes way better care of her iPod Touch and she hasn't had any issues either.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

5. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

I don't wanna harm any of my devices but it happens while I sleep. Plus it's a 3rd hand device, with my iPhone and iPad being the most important.

6. sorbet

sorbet Member
    Bronze

Mine last about 4 years, and I spilled nail polish remover on it a few times. I ended up selling it on Craigslist for $50 since it just sat in the bottom of my purse.

7. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

Gee, it doesn't sound like he's being careless with at all.

8. jimmyrain

jimmyrain New Member

it depends on the usage. i dropped my ipod on the floor and there was no damage with it. Keep it for half of year and still in good condition.:p

9. BBP

BBP New Member

I have an iPod touch, 2nd gen. I got it for Christmas three years ago. I always carried it and used it often. But after about a year and a half the battery died. It works perfectly when plugged in, and looks in good condition too. I quit using it when I got a smart phone. And now I have this fantastic iPad.

Anyone want to buy a slightly used iPod?

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app
    64GB 3G Verizon

10. ChristoferNal

ChristoferNal New Member

Hi,
    I am a developer and any cheap solution would be interesting to me. What is the price?

11. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

I have an iPod classic that is 7-8 years old and it still works. It doesn't hold a charge anymore, but that's fine as I use it in my car and the car charges it while it plays so it's usable. I can still plug it in and sync songs to it. My dad's first gen iPod classic still works, come to think of it. Then again, if there was a world record for people who take care of their devices, my dad would definitely win. His first gen currently sits on a little stand in his "Mac Museum." The place where all the families old Macs go to be displayed and live out their retirement.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Odds and probabilty say not much longer if you continue throwing at the wall in 2012. ;)

Why not just sell it and use your iPhone?

13. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

I'm guessing my iPod has till December 21, 2012. ;)

My mom won't let me sell it.