How long does your battery last? I wonder if mine is due for service...

todesto

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
I just had a day trip today and my iPhone battery lasted about 12 hours. I probably was on the phone about 2 hours total and some email checking. Then the battery indicator turned to red and later asked to be charged then shut off....:sick: shouldn't the phoen last at least a day with that usage?

My lifetime call time shows 2 days 10 hours.

Also, is battery life issue covered under warranty?

Thanks in advance.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
The battery is something that can be replaced under warranty if it is necessary, but the battery life depends greatly upon your settings. How often e-mail auto checks, the brightness of the screen, how much you surf safari, and a variety of other settings so it is difficult to determine how long your battery is REALLY lasting based on the information provided.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Other factors as well include signal strength, temp, etc.
on Average, if you're getting about 2 hours of total usage a day, you should last approximately 3 days.
Of course, it's also not good to run your battery down. It's better to charge it on a regular basis (like every night), but it's ok to test it every now and then.
If you test and find that with regular usage your battery isn't lasting an approximate 6-8 hours, I recommend doing a restore and testing again.
If it's still less than 5 hours, make the appointment with Apple and take it in.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Now that I have a new iPhone, I realize how much shorter the battery life of my defunct iPhone had become after 7 months of uninterrupted use, checking mail every 15 minutes, nice bright screen, taking 4,000+ pics...It wasn't a big deal, because I can almost always plug in somewhere, but this new iPhone's battery is a lot better.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
I go to around 5 hrs and then it dies. This is because I use iPhone(Internet usage mostly) inside my office where I have only 1-2 bar(s) and this drains the battery like crazy.

KeKe

Bronze
Dec 26, 2007
Mines actually lasts the whole day. I usually use the Internet, iPod and youtube. By the time I get home it dies just in time LOL. So I turn it off and charge it and its ready for anoher day.

AntonChigurh

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
Now that I have a new iPhone, I realize how much shorter the battery life of my defunct iPhone had become after 7 months of uninterrupted use, checking mail every 15 minutes, nice bright screen, taking 4,000+ pics...It wasn't a big deal, because I can almost always plug in somewhere, but this new iPhone's battery is a lot better.
How long did your old battery last compared to your new one?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
How long did your old battery last compared to your new one?
It would be in the red in less than 5 hours of intense use (mail every 15 minutes, 2 or 3 hours of internet, pics... but rarely video). Today, on the new one, the same amount of use appears to have used up only 20% of the battery (this is eyeballing the green battery screen when I connect it to the computer).

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Well, I just updated to 1.1.3- unjailbroken. I'll be testing over the next couple of days to see if my battery life increases at all. Right now I get about 5 hours of usage over about 1.5 days average. IF it increases, great. If not... I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

todesto

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
So what is considered heavy usage? and normal usage?

i.e.
1. check mail: (what interval)

2. usage time of ipod and video

3. total length of phone call

4. usage time of internet

I thought mine drained pretty quick when I had a trip but now I notice it drains to about 2/5 at the end of the day with about 1 hour of phone call and some email checking.