How long is battery life? [1st gen iPhone]

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

spardis

Bronze
Aug 9, 2007
How long is the battery life on the iPhone (original 2G)? Not just the specifications and rating, but actual usage in real life? Thanks.

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
How long is the battery life.
For a smartphone it is AMAZING. I am in the mobile industry and was worried about the battery life of the iPhone. I came from Blackberrys, which have better battery life than the Blackjacks, Qs, 8125s, 6700s,etc.

My BB 8800 had the best battery life (2 - 3 days depending on usage) I had ever had but the iPhone is better. You will likely get around 2 days after you have cycled the batter a few times. (A cycle requires an almost full dead to full charge and partial charges only count against part of a cycle).

What is going to kill you with an iPhone is you are going to use the snot out of it and prollly get a day or so with 6- 8 hours of usage. BUT.....

...the Blackjacks, Qs, etc would die long before with this heavy of usage. My gf is a sick heavy BB user and she usually gets less than 2 days with her 88xx.

It is good.

spardis

Bronze
Aug 9, 2007
For a smartphone it is AMAZING. I am in the mobile industry and was worried about the battery life of the iPhone. I came from Blackberrys, which have better battery life than the Blackjacks, Qs, 8125s, 6700s,etc.

My BB 8800 had the best battery life (2 - 3 days depending on usage) I had ever had but the iPhone is better. You will likely get around 2 days after you have cycled the batter a few times. (A cycle requires an almost full dead to full charge and partial charges only count against part of a cycle).

What is going to kill you with an iPhone is you are going to use the snot out of it and prollly get a day or so with 6- 8 hours of usage. BUT.....

...the Blackjacks, Qs, etc would die long before with this heavy of usage. My gf is a sick heavy BB user and she usually gets less than 2 days with her 88xx.

It is good.
ok thanks. what if you just listen to music on it.

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
ok thanks. what if you just listen to music on it.
I would kill the screen to get the better battery life but at that point I am guessing you would get the time associated with the iPod function of the iPHone. I don't know it off hand but you can google it as they had a breakdown before the iPhone came out.

Really what it comes down to is that even if it is bad based on YOUR usage, it will be better than any other phone out there right now pretty much. I could be wrong but I don't know of many smartphones with battery lives longer than the Curve or 8800...except the iPhone.

Now when 3G comes out...LOOK OUT...unless they (AT&T AND Apple) figure something out, the battery times are horrendous. The phone AND the signal has to be optimized or else you can watch your battery meter fall.

Kipper

Bronze
I make the whole day without a prob. I take it off the dock at 630am and don't return it until like 1130pm or so. Everyday is different but normally it gets down to about 25%. I charge it every nite regardless of what power is left on it. I'm on the road everyday and don't get a chance to charge it so I need to make sure that I'm at 100% before I leave my house.

jreif

Aug 12, 2007

It is good.
So far I am only getting a few hours before my battery starts go go. Are you saying that I have to completely let it die a few times to get the most life out of the battery? How many times should I "kill" it?:sick: