How long to switch numbers from Verizon?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Chessh2036

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Im getting ready to activate it, is it taking a long time for you guys to do it? or does anyone know how long it will take/

Apple4me

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I would guess that you receive a new cell number in your area code as soon as you activate your iPhone in iTunes. You can make and receive calls using that number immediately. The "port" of your old cell number from your old carrier to the iPhone and AT&T is what can take "up to 24 hours". Based on my previous experience in porting my number from one carrier to another, it may only take a few hours. Don't panic!

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I would guess that you receive a new cell number in your area code as soon as you activate your iPhone in iTunes. You can make and receive calls using that number immediately. The "port" of your old cell number from your old carrier to the iPhone and AT&T is what can take "up to 24 hours". Based on my previous experience in porting my number from one carrier to another, it may only take a few hours. Don't panic!
When I called AT&T's Porting number, I asked if the rep could help me make sure that the password for transferring was correct, and he said, "nope." Then he hung up.

I called back and got a recording saying it may take 3 hours to transfer a number from another wireless carrier and to wait at least that long before calling.

prolix21

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
still waiting for my # to port over, however my iPhone does work. i can make outbound calls, surf, etc. all inbound msgs/calls still come ot my verizon phone though. the email i got said it would swap tonight, which is about 24 hours. i always heard the porting shouldn't take that long, but i'm sure a lot of people are moving #'s

interestingly, if i make an outbound call from my iPhone, caller ID shows up as my correct #. hopefully tonight this all be done with and i'll have my # moved over

MBHockey

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
still waiting for my # to port over, however my iPhone does work. i can make outbound calls, surf, etc. all inbound msgs/calls still come ot my verizon phone though. the email i got said it would swap tonight, which is about 24 hours. i always heard the porting shouldn't take that long, but i'm sure a lot of people are moving #'s

interestingly, if i make an outbound call from my iPhone, caller ID shows up as my correct #. hopefully tonight this all be done with and i'll have my # moved over
That's what i was told at first, but i called and there was a problem with my account # that i was porting that they fixed over the phone, and then it was activated and ported in 2 minutes. You should call.

prolix21

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
That's what i was told at first, but i called and there was a problem with my account # that i was porting that they fixed over the phone, and then it was activated and ported in 2 minutes. You should call.

what # did you call? i call the 877-800-3701 and all i got was a recording saying my transfer should be done soon?

prolix21

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
went through and picked the options where i could talk to a human and then i eventually was given a msg saying their offices were closed.

prolix21

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
and now the line isn't even working. all you get is a msg saying due to high volume they aren't able to answer. nice one att. might as well go to bed, if its not working when i wake up i will start calling them again.

b7bydesign

May 25, 2007
Knoxville, TN
called earlier tonight, about 23 1/2 hours after trying to set it up. the guy from AT&T set it up, few transfered calls and about 45mins later my phone was activated. used it for about 3 hours on and off then i finally received a text message saying my phone was active (at about 10:30pm, approx. 28 hours after first trying to set it up).

b7bydesign

May 25, 2007
Knoxville, TN
and now the line isn't even working. all you get is a msg saying due to high volume they aren't able to answer. nice one att. might as well go to bed, if its not working when i wake up i will start calling them again.
i got that voice mail earlier today, hung up, called right back and spoke to someone. so don't quit too soon!

prolix21

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
i called and they went through, re-verified all my info and said it all looked ok, however my # was still set as port-pending? she said she went in, re-submitted it, but told me it could take another 24 hours?

not sure if i should be pissed at att or if verizon is doing something on their end to mess this up.

prolix21

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
do you think i'd have any luck if i went to an att store in person and talked to someone? would they be able to help?

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
do you think i'd have any luck if i went to an att store in person and talked to someone? would they be able to help?
mine weren't. They acted like they weren't even aware of any activatioin issues and blamed it all on Apple saying they did not have anything to do with Activation, that it was all handled through iTunes and that was Apple! So much for their help. All they did was break out a list of phone numbers and had me speak to someone on the phone from the store and all i got was the same ole just wait along with the well sir you just ahve to understand how many are trying to activate at the same time BS. Well duh, its not like you didn't see it coming.

and despite all that it just makes no sense why some happen in mere minutes and others take 15-30+ hours. There does not seem be any in between. Few report 45 min, 2 hrs, 4 hrs etc. its either instant or long delay. Strange.......