How long until 1.1.2 OOTB Unlock? Opinions?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
It took a Loooooong time for Apple to release the new phones with the new bootloader firmware. These things take a while. That's understandable. I can imagine that there were a few red faces in the development team that signed off the bootloader/baseband firmware combination and the memo that would have gone along the lines of - "This time don't leave anything to chance - or you're fired". Compared to the AppleTV the iPhone software/firmware is very floor-swept and free of developmental debris, so I'm not doubting Apple's intention to keep this thing locked. The investors want that 1% market share in 2008 and widespread news of vulnerabilities gets in the way of that.

Guessing. Feb next year when the next official update reveals some clues, and a few developers have been given a bit of a peak at some secret stuff.

socalkevin21

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
It took a Loooooong time for Apple to release the new phones with the new bootloader firmware. These things take a while. That's understandable. I can imagine that there were a few red faces in the development team that signed off the bootloader/baseband firmware combination and the memo that would have gone along the lines of - "This time don't leave anything to chance - or you're fired". Compared to the AppleTV the iPhone software/firmware is very floor-swept and free of developmental debris, so I'm not doubting Apple's intention to keep this thing locked. The investors want that 1% market share in 2008 and widespread news of vulnerabilities gets in the way of that.

Guessing. Feb next year when the next official update reveals some clues, and a few developers have been given a bit of a peak at some secret stuff.
That long really? It only took, what, a month for the hackers to unlock the first bootloader.... and they have learned so much... I want to hope before xmas.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
That long really? It only took, what, a month for the hackers to unlock the first bootloader.... and they have learned so much... I want to hope before xmas.
I could be wrong - I usually am! But given the political importance of the iPhone to Apple and the scale of the mistake allowing the baseband bootloader to load any software regardless of its pedigree, I think this time - and now the new bootloader checks the signature of the whole baseband program before it loads it, it's not such an easy task.

When there is an official update next - Apple is going to have to include some key or secret to prove to the phone that it's genuine. Also there's less urgency than there was on day 1 - The crown has already been handed over, and they've already got their unlocked phones. The cat gets fat and the mouse gets a bit of a breather.

ndwgolf

Bronze
Nov 8, 2007
Phuket Thailand
Hot off the press

27th November, 2007

An exploit has been found in the 4.6 bootloader which means that new iPhones will be fully sim unlockable, but the bad is that this can be done when iPhone software 1.1.3 is released (for technical reasons). So we are anticipating full sim unlock for 1.1.2 out of the box iPhones in around 4 weeks time