how many email accounts are you checking?

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
I've had my 3G for less than a year (11 months) and today the battery has gone dead twice. I'm not using it any differently than I have been. Normally in a single day my battery will get down to half the charge on what I consider a high usage day, so going dead twice today is sending up flags.

I've done most tips to conserve battery... no wifi, location services off, brightness pretty low. I know that "pushing" email accounts will definitely wear a battery out but I'm wondering how many and why all of a sudden now?

How many accounts do you guys have that are "pushing" and do you notice a change in battery peformance? I have seven accounts (six accounts and 1 activesync). Pretty much always have so I wonder if that is my battery killer...

Thanks for any input.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say yes, 7 email accounts would lower battery life.
I have 2 - one set to push and the other manual. I also have google push for contacts and calendar. I noticed a small difference between using google and not using google but nothing I would call significant.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
two, but one forwards to the other, so i only have the one setup on the iPhone.

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
seven accounts?!?!? WOW... Thats a lot of mail. I have 3, 2 personal and 1 work. one is push, one is fetch and one is exchange (so still push) and I do not notice any difference in my battery life. You may just have a battery going bad...

Chex

Dec 17, 2008
PA
3 all pushed, Un jailbreaking gave me twice the battery life.

My battery lasts all day still, but I use the charger any time it gets to half.

rarity

Bronze
Nov 9, 2008
Sunshine State
I have all my aol, hotmail and comcast routed to go through Gmail, so I only have one technically. I also have a yahoo that I don't really check but when I do it's on the laptop.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
I have four right now. Gmail, MobileMe, Yahoo! and a hosted Google App one for my previous company. Gmail & Google Apps are fetch and Mobile & Yahoo! are push. The Yahoo! account is empty though, I don't really use it. My battery life is affected more by surfing and twittering throughout the day than email checking.

Joe

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
6 are set up on the phone; 5 are forwarded to my mobileme address which is pushed to my phone the other 5 are manual and are only on the phone so I can use the addresses when I send mail.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I have mobile me set up, so I have my mac mail and 2 google accounts. If I tweet or surf or talk a lot, I will run out of battery by the end of the day. I am almost always down to 20% by the end of the day, but I don't think it's from the push mail.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I have 4 different accounts on my phone- googlemail/o2 & 2x hotmail addresses. I use each of them at least once a day..

I have my phone checking for mail every 15mins so i will say my battery performance isn't the best.