How many gb

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Oct 9, 2009
I've got an iPhone 3GS that someone gave because it won't turn on. She said it was a 16gb. The back of the phone isn't labeled. Someone else told me that meant it was an 8gb. I searched the Internet and couldn't find anything. Is there any way I tell what GB this is. Model # is 579c-a1303a. From what I've read this just means its a 3GS. Thanks

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
The 3GS I have to compare to is the same number on the back. And it is a 8gb. Now that doesn't mean anything as I think the number on the back was the same for all 3gs's.
Why for it matter what size it is. Isn't the. It turning on the first step in this process?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The original issue of the 3GS definitely had the capacity printed on the back. When the 4 was released, the only version of the 3GS they offered was 8GB, which remains the case to the day. These do not have the capacity on the back. You have an 8GB 3GS.

Oct 9, 2009
Remove sim tray. There is a serial number etched in. Check warranty/ repair on Apple website. I am like 99% sure one of the stats you get is size and color.
Thanks. Didn't know the serial number was etched on the sim tray. Called Apple, gave the number, they gave me all the info. Thanks again

Vonwachtstain

Bronze
Jan 2, 2011
CT, USA
Yeah I got waterdamaged iPhone 3GS for $20 off CL and it was in September. It wouldn't even turn on. I've changed the charging dock and the battery. And now it works. In CT they still go for about 150-170 but I will keep it as I sold my other spare phone (Focus). 3GS is still the best looking iPhone IMHO.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Wow, that's amazing to me. Guess I should think about my wife's handed-down 3Gs that still works fine, as now she's got a hand-me-down iPhone 4 to swap to.
As long as you have a backup. I like to keep one spare iPhone around in case of emergency and right now mine is a V1, which is pretty painful to actually use for daily tasks. Next time around I'll keep one of our 4's as a backup.

TNA206

Oct 9, 2010
Hold the power button for 5 seconds then keep holding it and at the same time hold the home button for 10 seconds then let go of the power button and keep holding the home button until u see the Apple logo. Hope this helps