How many gb

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcintire21, Dec 21, 2011.

1. mcintire21

mcintire21 New Member

I've got an iPhone 3GS that someone gave because it won't turn on. She said it was a 16gb. The back of the phone isn't labeled. Someone else told me that meant it was an 8gb. I searched the Internet and couldn't find anything. Is there any way I tell what GB this is. Model # is 579c-a1303a. From what I've read this just means its a 3GS. Thanks

2. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

The 3GS I have to compare to is the same number on the back. And it is a 8gb. Now that doesn't mean anything as I think the number on the back was the same for all 3gs's.
    Why for it matter what size it is. Isn't the. It turning on the first step in this process?

3. mcintire21

mcintire21 New Member

Probably going to sell it. So it would be nice to know. Is your 8gb labeled "8GB" on the back of the phone?

4. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

No

5. PDACPA

PDACPA Member
    Silver

Why not hit Settings General About and let the phone tell you?

6. Vonwachtstain

Vonwachtstain Member
    Bronze

Remove sim tray. There is a serial number etched in. Check warranty/ repair on Apple website. I am like 99% sure one of the stats you get is size and color.

7. mcintire21

mcintire21 New Member

It won't turn on.

8. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

My 16gb 3GS has 16gb stamped on the back.

9. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Does iTunes recognize it? iTunes will display this information. You could also download the iPhone Configuration Utility and that will also display all relevant information on said device.

10. psylichon

psylichon Genius

The original issue of the 3GS definitely had the capacity printed on the back. When the 4 was released, the only version of the 3GS they offered was 8GB, which remains the case to the day. These do not have the capacity on the back. You have an 8GB 3GS.

11. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

I'd say the chances of selling it for any meaningful amount are very low. Apple currently 'sells' these for zero dollars: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC555

12. mcintire21

mcintire21 New Member

Thanks. Didn't know the serial number was etched on the sim tray. Called Apple, gave the number, they gave me all the info. Thanks again

13. mcintire21

mcintire21 New Member

That's with a 2 yr contract. It will go for $50 easy even with it not working

14. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

Good luck with that.

15. mcintire21

mcintire21 New Member

I sold it a week ago for 76 but the guy wasn't sure about it not being stamped so he never paid. Others bid 60 and 65.

16. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I recently sold a water-damaged 16GB 3GS for $51. Wouldn't even turn on.

17. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

Wow, that's amazing to me. Guess I should think about my wife's handed-down 3Gs that still works fine, as now she's got a hand-me-down iPhone 4 to swap to.

18. Vonwachtstain

Vonwachtstain Member
    Bronze

Yeah I got waterdamaged iPhone 3GS for $20 off CL and it was in September. It wouldn't even turn on. I've changed the charging dock and the battery. And now it works. In CT they still go for about 150-170 but I will keep it as I sold my other spare phone (Focus). 3GS is still the best looking iPhone IMHO.

19. psylichon

psylichon Genius

As long as you have a backup. I like to keep one spare iPhone around in case of emergency and right now mine is a V1, which is pretty painful to actually use for daily tasks. Next time around I'll keep one of our 4's as a backup.

20. TNA206

TNA206 New Member

Hold the power button for 5 seconds then keep holding it and at the same time hold the home button for 10 seconds then let go of the power button and keep holding the home button until u see the Apple logo. Hope this helps