How many here dropped Verizon for the iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I did and it was one the hardest things I've ever had to do. They were seriously so good to me, bent over backwards all the time to make sure I was a happy customer. Only something as revolutionary as the iPhone could have gotten me to drop Verizon.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I did and it was one the hardest things I've ever had to do. They were seriously so good to me, bent over backwards all the time to make sure I was a happy customer. Only something as revolutionary as the iPhone could have gotten me to drop Verizon.
You and a lot of other people, buddy. :)
From a lot of other providers, as well. ;)

vanslam

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Yeah I had them too. The were okay but I left ATT for them. Not because of poor service but because of the way I was treated at the store. Apple took care of that by allowing me to by pass their store workers. However we must remember that they are a businesss and this was personal, lol.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
My Verizon Wireless contract was up, and I made the switch in order to get the iPhone. It was an easy decision, though, since many of my friends & family were already AT&T customers. I'm enjoying not burning up my anytime minutes talking to the people I already call most often. My wife and I were on a family plan, so I brought her over, too.

slingshot110

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
SF, CA
I did

I dropped Verizon for the iPhone. It was an easy decision despite the fact that EVERYONE I know and call is on Verizon. Their service was ok and their network superior, but I did not like the fact that I could only buy new phones from Verizon and could only get a deal on a new phone every 2 years. I probably would have switched even if the iPhone never came out.

evilhomer

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
I dropped Verizon for the iPhone. It was an easy decision despite the fact that EVERYONE I know and call is on Verizon. Their service was ok and their network superior, but I did not like the fact that I could only buy new phones from Verizon and could only get a deal on a new phone every 2 years. I probably would have switched even if the iPhone never came out.
I have always been a GSM user and hated being on Verizon simply for the fact that I couldn't swap devices frequently and easily. Verizon may be a great network but there is just no way in Hades that I'm using just one wireless device for two years. SIM cards rule.

My wife switched from VZW and has noticed no difference in service.

brinox

Bronze
Apr 30, 2007
i *HAD* verizon (wewt, no more BS from that company). With AT&T i have made some REALLY cool friends, and have the connection at my local corp store.

we went drinking this weekend, and right beforehand, my buddy scored my a Samsung sync phone for $25 as a backup phone.

uPhone559

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
i had verizon with 2 lines and was paying too much! there data plan is $50 a month but evdo is quick as hell. i ate the $350 cancelation fee and bought the iPhone! when i called to cancel they tried to compare the LG Chocolate to the iPhone and offered me one for free if i stayed lol

scrowner

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
The 3 of us moved from Verizon. None of us were in a situation to owe Verizon $ for canceling their service. But the three of us moved that Friday of the release of the iPhone. We did not have data plans with Verizon but the phone service has been as good as Verizon so far. No regrets for the three of us. The iPhone rocks.

falsetigerlimbs

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
I did! =/

Verizon definitely has the best service in my area, but that doesn't really matter to me because I don't make a lot of phone calls anyway.

But there was a $165 fee to cancel my contract. ugh.

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
It cost me $175 dollars to get out of my Verizon contract. I LOVE my iPhone but I sure do miss my Verizon voice activated dialing and navagation GPS service.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
i had verizon with 2 lines and was paying too much! there data plan is $50 a month but evdo is quick as hell. i ate the $350 cancelation fee and bought the iPhone! when i called to cancel they tried to compare the LG Chocolate to the iPhone and offered me one for free if i stayed lol
Ha ha the Chocolate? Incomparable. Oh wow it plays music, big whoop.

Gurk33

Jul 20, 2007
My contract conveniently ended the same time the iPhone came out. Easy decision. I loved always being the one who 'had service' wherever I was (and my T-Mobil and AT&T friends didn't), but I'd rather have a sick phone.

Verizon has great coverage - but that's it.

1) Their phone are all terrible, and too expensive. I had a Motorola E815 (formerly the V710 which I also had), and 2 years later, they still hadn't come out with anything better. No Sidekick, no iPhone, no screen bigger than an inch and a half, unless you want a Blackberry the size of a laptop. The Chocolate sucks. The EnV is a brick (and still has a wimpy 1" screen). Do they even sell anything else?

2) GetItNow blows. Plug your phone into your computer and have control over it's content? Sorry - not with Verizon. You want a ring tone? A game? The ability to sync your contact book? YOU GOTTA PAY, SUCKA! Then theres the added nuisance that all of your applications are within the GetItNow menu. Oh, you can Instant Message, alright... but it's a 10-step pain in the butt!

3) Their customer service is pretty lame. A simple problem usually takes a minimum of an hour to resolve. If you go into an actual Verizon store, you're waiting in a line - it's Verizon's policy.

Benefits of Verizon:

1) They're easy to screw-over. I could get a replacement for my phone whenever I wanted. I swapped my E815 about 6 times. All I would say is "it freezes a lot". Once I even dropped it in the toilet and they replaced it.

2) Most of the people I know have them.

Oh well, see-ya Verizon. I'm 100% happy with my decision to switch over to the iSide. Love it, love it, love it. (Love it ;))

jbarrack

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
New York
www.facebook.com
I didn't switch from verizon i switched from sprint. There phones are all old and out dated. They never come out with any new phones When I called to cancel they said the new treo 755 was better than the iPhone. The treo 755? Are you kidding me? Sprint lost 2 customers. And as soon as my uncle saw my phone ... He dropped his verizon ppc-6700 in a matter of minutes. He was a die hard verizon patron. I have a funny feeling that happened to a lot of people. I would like to see nunbers of people who switch post iPhone release.

stokem

Jul 11, 2007
I left Verizon without any problems.

brinox

Bronze
Apr 30, 2007
hey how do you guys already know what your ETF fee was...!?!? i haven't seen anything, but am for damn sure i was still in contract! major grr

Martlet

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
I was out of contract so I switched. My value from being a 9 year customer has dropped a lot in recent years to the point that I was happy to go.

My gf broke her contract, but it was easier for her since her contract is expenseable.