How many here dropped Verizon for the iPhone?

joeg679

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I left Verizon, they had the absolute best service and the worst phones. I heard that Steve Jobs went to Verizon with the iPhone first, but they turned him down, big mistake. Only the iPhone could have made me switch, I never had a dropped call with Verizon in 5 years, all over the country. I have had ATT for a week and have had about 10, 5 in NYC alone. Hopefully they improve their service or keep coming out with phones that are so superior to the competitor's that it is worth the crappy service.

brinox

Bronze
Apr 30, 2007
You can ask them when you cancel. But for you, just wait for a happy little letterfrom Verizon Wireless in the mail. ;)
well ive received my prorated bill from when i ported my number, but nothing since then! ive had to jump hoop numerous times with VZW and am VERY VERY happy to be leaving.

i will say that their coverage has proven to be better for me where i live, but i think since i made cool with the local AT&T guys my mobile situation has greatly changed (i go drinking with the AT&T crew a lot actually :D)

but yes, no letter from verizon saying im getting the ETF - has anyone else received their ETF notice in the mail from verizon yet?

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I left Verizon, they had the absolute best service and the worst phones. I heard that Steve Jobs went to Verizon with the iPhone first, but they turned him down, big mistake. Only the iPhone could have made me switch, I never had a dropped call with Verizon in 5 years, all over the country. I have had ATT for a week and have had about 10, 5 in NYC alone. Hopefully they improve their service or keep coming out with phones that are so superior to the competitor's that it is worth the crappy service.
same here I rarely ever had a dropped call with Verizon. I'm not having any problems with AT&T either though. most of the time im in the Dallas metro area. I have not been through any rural areas yet since I've been on AT&T. That's always where Verizon has beat everyone in my experience.

joeg679

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
How could going drinking with the ATT guys help you get better cell phone reception?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Couldn't agree more. I had the best service, never a dropped call in 3 years, and I get a dropped call every couple days with AT&T. I was ready for this though, I knew what I was getting into when I joined them. I am so much more easy to work with though when you give me a cool phone. Verizon phones SUCK. I bet you anything they are kicking themselves for not going with the iPhone, after they have seen all of the hype that has been surrounding it.

Baltorep

Jul 7, 2007
I am leaving Verizon for the fact that I have a Moto Q and my 900 min plan with data was over $100.00 per month. Since switching to the iPhone my bill with the same 900 minutes $30 per month less. Plus I am tired of Verizon charging for everything!

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hold on, LOL, just to set the record straight, I love my iPhone and it was well worth the money to cancel early with Verizon.

uPhone559

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
i just got my last verizon bill today for $423 dollars! haha
i could almost buy another iPhone with that

rob22

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
I did

I originally paid out of my Cingular contract due to the horrible amount of dropped calls and lack of reception in one of the largest cities in the country. Swithced to Verizon which was always great. My contract was up this time switching from Verizon and the only thing that was hard for me was not knowing how bad the the AT&T service was going to be. And what a relief, it's not bad.

As for all of the comments on customer service and what not, I've never had a problem with either company. I really don't understand why you'd have to deal with customer service that much anyway, I rarely have with either company.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I loved Verizon, never had problems with it. All of my family and friends all have Verizon so I am the only one with ATT. We left ATT years ago because we had no reception in or around our home and work. I only switched too because of the iPhone but had some faith that if Apple chose ATT it has hopefully improved since we had it before. So far so good, its working as well as Verizon at home although sometimes in certain places people said I sound like I am underwater. I miss verizon but love my iPhone, in the long run it will cost more for me because my family and friends will use up all my minutes (900).:sick:

ThePiombino

Jul 26, 2007
I dropped VZW for ATT (my second go-round with ATT actually). I can't say it was a hard decision as my relation with VZW has been up and down since day one. Though I suppose I really shouldn't complain as most of the time they have been extremely helpful. Nonetheless, here I am- back with ATT and an iPhone. Will I regret the move? Well, I have a week left before my 14 days are up, so I just hope that if I do regret the move that I figure it our before then, lol.

Errk!

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
I didn't drop Verizon for the iPhone, but just before the iPhone was announced I almost dropped Cingular for Verizon for a smartphone.

I couldn't justify the ridiculous data rates (compared to the iPhone anyway) though...glad I held off.

rasputinj

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I dropped 2 lines and paid the ETF, I love Verizon. My wife wanted a new phone and fell in love with the iPhone. I am a gadget geek so I could not let her have all the fun so we both left Verizon. The coverage is very similar for me. Sometimes the audio seems better with Verizon. People never knew before I was in a car talking to them.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
yes, I dropped a family plan w/2 lines from verizon. The company I was with covered my cell phone bill and didn't mind paying the cancelling charges. Final bill was $418. :eek: But....

Verizon was by FAR the best cell service I've EVER come across. Not once did I have a dropped call in nearly 5 (roughly) years. Now my wife's sync drops calls all the time, and my signal w/the iPhone sucks at times. I live in Orange County! That's a major market! WTF?

But I knew all that before I switched. I didn't think it'd be this bad though... :mad:

4thchild

Jul 5, 2007
I dropped Verizon on 6 phones because of the iPhone. Yes thats right 6 phone from 2 family plans. The AT&T signal strength is no where near as good as Verizon. I have dropped more calls in the past month than in the past 7 years.

Strange thing is, Im ok with it because I love love love the iPhone. It was a huge mistake for Verizon not to partner with Apple. The are the carrier that has lost the most businesss to the iPhone.

O well, who ever is at the top made a very very bad call. My only hope now is that AT&T improves quickly with their new found cash!

RTOIPHONE

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
I plan on having both here soon also. I have Verizon and everyone I know is on Verizon. But, I really want an iPhone. So, will have both (at least for a while).
I had no problems with Verizon. I was with Cingular before and could not get reception. I had moved and AT & T showed good reception in my area. Verizon had a $250 cancellation for each phone. I kept one and canceled one. No reception with iPhone at home but good every else. I got a dual channel Zboost and now I have reception at home.

iPhone was worth it. It is great.

eric1952

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
how many dropped verizon?

I did and it was one the hardest things I've ever had to do. They were seriously so good to me, bent over backwards all the time to make sure I was a happy customer. Only something as revolutionary as the iPhone could have gotten me to drop Verizon.
I still have my verizon account and will cancel shortly at the cost of$175,OUCH!