How many of you have owned a Mac clone?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Oh the good ole' days when you could be a super-fast Mac at a fraction of the cost of a real Mac. Dare I say, back then Macs didn't always have great specs. When companies were allowed to make Macs, there were some amazing computers available. Nothing close to what you get now for your money, but these were impressive.

My main rig was a PowerCenter Pro from Power Computing. I remember it well. Unfortunately, I lent it a relative who was less than reliable. Not sure what happened to the old girl. Probably running OS 9 somewhere in a dusty, cold apartment.

pcpro.jpg

I remember performing surgery in my dusty, cold apartment - replacing the motherboard. The good ole' days.

Any former Mac-clone owners here?

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Never built a Mac clone but I built enough windows boxes for family and friends. My biggest master piece was a water cooled refrigerated rig..... Until it leaked :D

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Not only do we still have a Power Computing system at the studio, it still gets used occasionally to access the database for our old Retrospect tape backups.

image.jpg

I'd like to build a hackintosh some day. The computers I'm planning to build soon for the studio actually hack quite nicely into a Mac, though we'll be using them with Windows.