How many of you have sent yours in for service?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jul 13, 2007
just wondering (i know the turnaround is quick)

i heard some people got new ones...i have a great 5 series screen and hope they fix mine without touching the screen (or screwing anything else up for that matter)

my iPhone gets confused sometimes....when i take out the headphones it still thinks the headphones are in there and the speaker and mic don't work

they told me it might be a "short" or something

ltemple

Jul 3, 2007
Contrast Problems

I sent mine in today also. I love my iPhone! Unfortunately, I had to have it replaced last week at an Apple store because of a bad battery. The moment they handed me a new replacement phone I noticed a problem with the screen. There was a very noticeable gap between the edge of the glass and the metal trim. I swear I could see down inside the phone. I said "hey, why does it have that big gap there? It wasn't attractive but the Apple "genius" guy looked at it and said "Uh, well, uh, er... yes...I believe that's "within specs"; then he just handed it back to me as if the supreme court had just made a ruling and I was going to have to live with it. I realized he was just guessing and didn't really know, so I refused to leave the store. I looked at the 24 iPhones they had on display. Their screens were all perfect, so I decided they were within "my specs". So I called Apple on my new phone (the only call I ever made on it.) The Apple rep on the phone was extremely nice. I told him about the gap and what the genius guy said, and the rep said "NO. There should be no gap whatsoever between the screen and the metal trim." He encouraged me to stay in the store and be more insistant that they give me another phone. I spoke to another employee who was very understanding, so he showed it to the manager who immediately authorized giving me another phone. So now I'm now on iPhone number 3. The screen looked fine in the store, so off I went. But when I got home and began downloading pictures and a movie I had converted for the previous phone (Batman Begins), I noticed the contrast on the screen was turned up way too high. Many of my photos are also mostly black. Yes, yes, I know that sounds whiney (is that the right spelling for "whiney" --I can't spell worth crap) Anyway, all mid to dark tones came out looking black, which made Batman virtually unwatchable (the exact same file played beautifully on my first iPhone). The blacks also have an irritating reflective look --It's weird --I can't really explain it. Unfortunately, while there is a software slider for brightness, none exists for contrast. I can only assume it was not calibrated correctly in the factory. So I called Apple. Again, they were very polite and sent me a box to send it in for repair. I sent it off today. Please don't get me wrong --I think the iPhone is an amazing device. For the next few days I am having to use my old T-mobile MDA --which I used to think was the bomb... windows mobile 5, wifi, etc. But after a month with the iPhone my MDA looks and feels like a cheap piece of crap. --I'll let you know how it goes...:)

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
That headphone jack glitch has been reported by others.

At least you figured out what it was... some people think their phone isn't working any more and panic, until they find out they just need to plug in/out the headphone a few times.

Sure sounds like it's a cheap jack. With all the latest problems reported out of China products, well, it wouldn't be surprising if they swapped parts without Apple knowing.

Jul 13, 2007
got it back today, they didn't bother to fix mine, they just gave me a new one:laugh2:

although it is a 7 series screen, the screen looks pretty good

and there arent any fit and finish problems with dead pixels or light coming out of the sides:cool:

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
I sent mine in for a malfunctioning speaker. The turnaround was three days. Received prepaid shipping box on Wednesday (including loaner iPhone), shipped on Thursday, arrived at Apple on Friday, they decided it was broke, shipped me a replacement, at my house on Saturday.

Joe

brianhyp

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
I dropped mine off at the Apple store Sunday because of 3 hours of usage I got a loaner phone of gave me seven hours of usage still waiting for my replacement