How many of you have tried to write your own app?

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
Im downloading the SDK tonite and I will begin trying to write an app for a brilliant idea i had. It shouldnt be too hard relative to a game or finance program and I hope that my limited programing experience will be enough..

Im excited though, If i can achieve my vision, i definitely see myself making some decent buck on the app store :D

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
Im downloading the SDK tonite and I will begin trying to write an app for a brilliant idea i had. It shouldnt be too hard relative to a game or finance program and I hope that my limited programing experience will be enough..

Im excited though, If i can achieve my vision, i definitely see myself making some decent buck on the app store :D
Good luck!

Now if we could only get those sh!theads complaining about apps not being free to make their own apps, we could rag on them for charging for their app after they spendt countless hours making it.... /rant

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
Good luck!

Now if we could only get those sh!theads complaining about apps not being free to make their own apps, we could rag on them for charging for their app after they spendt countless hours making it.... /rant

heeh, i have no problem paying for an app if its any good. SO i don't plan on charging for my app unless its good quality. If its not good quality, i plan on probably just using it for myself.

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
heeh, i have no problem paying for an app if its any good. SO i don't plan on charging for my app unless its good quality. If its not good quality, i plan on probably just using it for myself.
Cool...but unfortunately, the majority of people using the App store think that everything should be free

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
well so far im clueless with how to use xcode but im trying to work with the interface builder and im picking it up very slowly, this is much harder than i thought it would be. maybe people should try to write something before complaining about pricing.

right now im trying to figure out how to insert a picture and im not having luck with that

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
well so far im clueless with how to use xcode but im trying to work with the interface builder and im picking it up very slowly, this is much harder than i thought it would be. maybe people should try to write something before complaining about pricing.

right now im trying to figure out how to insert a picture and im not having luck with that
Exactly my point....keep on keepin on bro :cool:

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
wow this is so annoying lol, everything i try to do doesn't work lol, im trying to use the image tool to put a picture on the main page and it wont even let me do that lol

right now im not even touchign xcode until i read more about it. im just trying to use the builder.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
I guess the whole 2 week development is going to be a tad off huh?

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
yeah so far im in over my head.. ill keep workin on it but the code langauge takes a while to learn

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
It is quite a chore.

I have had the SDK for over a month now and still am learning Xcode and simple frameworks.

There is a series of 15 or so podcasts with video that you can put on your phone or watch on you 'puter to help you learn.

It's in the iTunes store or on Apple's website. I can't remember which one. Maybe both.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I had to go to the Apple Developer site first, then I could log in and get a link to one of the videos, and after opening it, iTunes opened a new library with "my name @ ADC" or something like that, from which I could download the rest of them.. hope that helps.

The main thing that helped me in learning the SDK, though, was looking at the code samples they gave, and adapting them for my own use. The videos only gave a broad overview of their vision for third-party apps

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
This is somewhat surprising and a little disappointing that there isn't a version for windows pcs.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
It's not very surprising. Disappointing, yeah, but not very surprising... Since the iPhone OS is just OS X under the hood, they could basically translate their existing development environment to work on the iPhone applications. Getting their development tools working in Windows would be an entire rewrite, essentially, so doing that would take manpower away from the current developments going on. If it ever happens at all, it will only happen after a long while, when the iPhone software development team has nothing else to do.

Sep 14, 2007
I am trying to develop an app that has a picture of the contact and dials the number with 1 touch but I have not had much luck. SDK is way over my head still.

Jun 25, 2008
Nor Cal
Hey guys i was wondering if when you get good at this if for a fee you might want to write apps for others with good ideas. I have a couple cool ideas. Mostly thinking of easy reference stuff which, Yes you could pull up online but it sure would be cool to have a icon just for that specific info and a little more user input ect. Anyway just thinking out loud. Thanks!

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Anybody actually making their computer into a hackintosh to do this? I'm seriously considering it. I have a couple of ideas.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Anybody actually making their computer into a hackintosh to do this? I'm seriously considering it. I have a couple of ideas.
I did, I just haven't had the time or resources to reinstall to get the latest 10.5.x so that I could install the latest SDK.

It's not as simple as just applying the update from Apple Software Update when you're a Hackintosh, sadly...