How Many Original iPhone Owners are Upgrading Soon?...

Pick One.

• I'm waiting for my contract to run dry then I will get whatever is new.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I'm hanging on to my version 1 iPhone, not interested in upgrading anytime soon.

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • I've upgraded and now rockin' the 3G.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Other. Please Explain in Post.

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
...That is, if a new iPhone comes out this Summer (June/July). Or will you just upgrade to 3G or not at all?

I'm really just curious.

I've tried conducting a poll on other sites to see just how many V.1 owners there still are and who's waiting to upgrade when their contract runs out. I still believe that most folks either upgraded to the 3G or the 3G was their first iPhone period.

Just observing for the past week though it seems that in these forums there are nearly twice as many viewing the "iPhone" section as opposed to the "iPhone 3G" section at any given time. Just like before I started this thread there were, I think...731 viewing in this section alone, which is more than any other section.

This leads me to believe that there are still a lot of version 1 owners still out there. I mean, who would be snooping around the original section when they own a 3G anyways, right? ;)

To all the V.1 owners waiting for the upgrade, here's to hoping a new version is available this summer for you! :laugh2:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I'll be upgrading, even if the new phone was as new feature-lacking as the 3G was. My contract's up in July, and my V1 is almost dead - the silent switch doesn't work, the Home Button doesn't work, the backing is starting to get loose, and it's scratched up like crazy and dinged all over the place.

I skipped the 3G because my V1 was still working fine and the 3G really didn't offer anything that I needed or really wanted, for that matter. Hopefully the third iPhone will be full of fun new stuff, but even if it isn't, I'm still buying it. My V1 can't hold out much longer.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I still have a V.1 and my wife does as well. Unless a new model comes out with significant changes I will be staying with the v.1. I don't think there is much of a difference from the v.1 to the 3g version, not enough to constitute a change anyway. The v.1 has a more substantial "feel" to it where the newer models feel "cheap". When the AT&T contract is up I might switch providers...........maybe.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
The v.1 has a more substantial "feel" to it where the newer models feel "cheap". When the AT&T contract is up I might switch providers...........maybe.
I agree, as little time as I've spent with either, I remember the V.1 and it feels more solid than the plasticky version.

Uh-oh, you're not gonna switch and become one of those "Pre-verts" are ya?!:p

Good replies guys, thanks.

Aug 22, 2007
DFW, TEXAS
i will, if it has that ichat. but it most likey wont have that feature.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I agree, as little time as I've spent with either, I remember the V.1 and it feels more solid than the plasticky version.

Uh-oh, you're not gonna switch and become one of those "Pre-verts" are ya?!:p

Good replies guys, thanks.
Not very likely. I keep an open mind though. When I find a device that I consider to be BETTER than the iPhone I will consider a switch. Unfortunately for iPhones competitors, I see Apple keeping major updates under the covers until they need to be released to keep competitive with the others. We will see how that plays out though.

kimo

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
I am waiting for 32gigs of storage before upgrading. My V1 is still doing great.
:cool:

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I didn't have a choice. My V1 died, and I had to upgrade. If I still had my V1, I would have waited till this next version comes out to upgrade.
Now, I'll probably wait till version 4 hit's the streets. I can't see the version 3 being that much more than the 3G. I mean sure, better processor and graphic chips, but I don't see that much of a jump. Plus most of the software upgrades will be compatible with what I got now.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I'm waiting for a 32gb version. Now that the V3 is coming out I'll probably wait for that one, but I might not even get it if it's only 16gb. 32gb is going to come out pretty quick.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I can sit here and say "Nah, I don't need to upgrade to a new iPhone, I am perfectly happy with the one I have", but I said that when the 3g was coming out too so I would probably be lying. I held out for 3 days and upgraded. I love my white phone. I hope to be stronger this time around....unless of course it comes with some amazing features that I just gotta have. ;)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
still have a v1 here, and EDGE has been (seemingly) getting slower and slower around town. It may just be my imagination, but either way i am itching for 3G. When or if SlingPlayer is released i will have yet another reason to upgrade.

i would like to have more than 8GB of storage too, but that's not as much of an issue.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I still have a shiny, cosmetically-perfect V1, as does the wife. My battery is holding up very well, and Edge here in Philly is consistently useable (~130kbps). I Pandora all the way to work (not getting any calls, but cest la vie).

I will upgrade to the new one this summer for more space (I'd like 16 GB at least), a new battery, a better camera (fingers crossed), and all the other things I think will come (video, faster CPU, more robust OS options). 3G will be a nice bonus. I originally said I would never sell my V1, but seeing as how the wife will likely keep hers, I'll probably end up ebaying mine to offset the cost of the new one.

And I won't be camping. I never was that type. But I will be getting the new iPhone guaranteed.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
At work my phone is always on Edge. I have noticed that I can barely do anything anymore until 3g pops up. I was trying to send a picture via email today and it failed 3 times with Edge so I finally gave up and waited until I was in 3g area. I think Edge is definitely getting worse.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I notice that I'm definitely in the minority when it comes to Edge satisfaction. Any other Philly folks here with me?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I still have a shiny, cosmetically-perfect V1, as does the wife.
It's funny, mine was in great shape up until February or so... no serious incidents at all. But since then i have dropped it three times from at least waist-height onto concrete or tile.

there are a couple of dings, and there's a small gap under the bezel on one side now.

i think the cosmos is trying to communicate through my iPhone.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
It's amazing how much abuse the V1 can take and still work. My roommate has one that the screen it completely shattered (he dropped it 8" off the side of his bed onto a lamp base when the glass first broke. 3 weeks later he dropped it again when he was mugged - and no, they didn't want it), the glass is coming out in little pieces, the bezel is popped off at least 60% around the phone, and the back doesn't quite fit anymore because the few impacts it's taken has warped it. He still uses it because he cannot afford another phone right now. He wants a BB bold.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I guess I'm the typical materialistic American and have to have the latest and greatest :) I never had a V1, but I camped (well actually I got there at 0600 and only had to wait in line for 4 hours at an AT&T store in Vegas) for the 3G and plan on doing the same thing for the new one. I won't be eligible for upgrade if they release it before December, so if they won't sell me the new one for the full unsubsidized cost (and they probably won't on release day), I'll just add a line and have 2 iPhones. I'm totally obsessed!