How many people have YOU hepled with directions?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Last night i was at a gas station/McDonald's waiting to return a DVD to a Redbox when i overheard a guy asking the Gas Station clerk if she knew where an italian water-ice place was around here... I was waiting behind this dude who was obviously taking his time picking out a DVD to rent, so i figured i'd Google it while they were talking. By this time it was apparent the clerk had no idea where it was, and the guy was pretty sure it was in the vicinity, but he still couldn't find it. So i googled the company for its retail locations, and found out it was dual-branded with a subshop. So then i plugged in the address to the Map app, and showed him the satellite picture with the drop-pin, and said, "it's right there, but it's called 'Cousin's Subs'".

he thanked me profusely (he and his wife were meeting friends they hadn't seen in years), commented that that was the first iPhone he's seen, and was on his way.

then i waited another 10 minutes to return my DVD.

Dec 10, 2007
blacked out
sweet :cool:

incidentally, I work for the company that make the maps for Google Maps. We're called Tele Atlas. If you find and error with an address send me a PM, I will literally fix that crap for our next release. You are the best resource we could possibly have.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
I've found in real world situations w/o the gps it is not really practical for me to use google maps for directions but it does work great for looking up businesss, sorda like the yellowpages.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
Last night i was at a gas station/McDonald's waiting to return a DVD to a Redbox when i overheard a guy asking the Gas Station clerk if she knew where an italian water-ice place was around here... I was waiting behind this dude who was obviously taking his time picking out a DVD to rent, so i figured i'd Google it while they were talking. By this time it was apparent the clerk had no idea where it was, and the guy was pretty sure it was in the vicinity, but he still couldn't find it. So i googled the company for its retail locations, and found out it was dual-branded with a subshop. So then i plugged in the address to the Map app, and showed him the satellite picture with the drop-pin, and said, "it's right there, but it's called 'Cousin's Subs'".

he thanked me profusely (he and his wife were meeting friends they hadn't seen in years), commented that that was the first iPhone he's seen, and was on his way.

then i waited another 10 minutes to return my DVD.
i've helped myself and friends countless times. it's just so easy to when you have the internet in your pocket.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I've helped out my family members quite a few times. We were just in Vegas trying to find a Snow Resort, plugged it into the Maps App and within seconds we knew exactly where it was and how to get there. It was awesome. I've also helped out a few strangers with directions as well, but most of the time I know where they are talking about so I just tell them without having to look it up.