How many Safari web pages can "stay alive"?

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
The iPhone allows you to open up to 8 web pages tiled consecutively. However, I've notice there's no rhyme or reason as which or how many of them "stay alive" (the technical term eludes me) while tiled, without needing to reload the page when you select it. This evening, I had 5 tiled pages alive, which occurred to me as a rarity - on my iPhone, at least. Normally, I'm lucky to have two active pages. But just as I opened the 6th page, all the others went blank!

So, what's your mileage?

(Yeah, I've got that Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" stuck in my head!)

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
My experience is that it is based on time that the page is inactive, not the amount of pages open.

I could be wrong though, I've also never had more than 3 pages open at a time. You're hardcore.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i think there are multiple factors involved here... Safari's cache, the iPhone's RAM, and who knows what else...

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Before 2.0, you could coax it to open up to 10 windows (by pressing links in the map application or from the mail app) I think Steve must have considered this a bug because it doesn't work anymore and now instead of it telling me that it can't open a page because I have too many windows open, it just steals one of my already open windows, and purges it from the back button history so I lose it forever. HEY STEVE! THAT IS MUUUUUCH WORSE OF A BUG! FIX IT! And of course the safari history is totat @#$%. It only remembers about 10% of the websites I visit so it's never useful to recover the lost webpage.

I keep my windows open for a long time if it's something I want to investigate later. If I bookmark a webpage I want to investigate later, I tend to forget about them. And about a half dozen times I've opened safari and those 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10 windows have been GONE! Man sometimes I hate my iPhone. Hate all of the other phones worse though.

To answer the OP, I think it's only 2 at most. As soon as it gets the chance, it seems to erase your second window.

Elbacanazo920

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Bronx, NY
The iPhone allows you to open up to 8 web pages tiled consecutively. However, I've notice there's no rhyme or reason as which or how many of them "stay alive" (the technical term eludes me) while tiled, without needing to reload the page when you select it. This evening, I had 5 tiled pages alive, which occurred to me as a rarity - on my iPhone, at least. Normally, I'm lucky to have two active pages. But just as I opened the 6th page, all the others went blank!

So, what's your mileage?

(Yeah, I've got that Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" stuck in my head!)
Reading this post now put that song in my head.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
I've heard anywhere from 2-4.
It's going to get even worse with addition of push notification, folks.

ThunderBull4

Bronze
Jul 28, 2008
Yeah I would say about 2-4... 4 might even be pushing it.

Sep 1, 2008
usually I have 2 web pages that are alive. but regular webpages I have open as of today 24pages. but It only show 20 dots on the screen.