How many songs can fit on the 8 GB?

1. ozzlil

ozzlil New Member

Hi, I have the 8 GB iPhone, a friend of mine was going to buy an ipod but once he saw my phone he is not thinking of just getting the iPhone, he wanted to know how many songs can fit on it? Thanks!
  2. Britna

Britna New Member Bronze

Well I'm not to sure on this but since a 4 gig iPod nano can hold 1000 songs, I'm guessing that this iPhone can hold around 2000?
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. UnseenLlama

UnseenLlama New Member Bronze

The answer, unfortunately, is it depends. How have you encoded your song files? 64, 128, 256 kbps? Did you use mp3 or aac? Lower quality bit rates will allow for more music, while higher quality will allow for less.

I currently have most of my library encoded at 160kbps and have 800 songs on my 8gb iPhone. I also have an episode of the Office, 36 pictures, a bunch of wallpapers, and I still have 2 gigs to spare.
  5. TrippalHealicks

TrippalHealicks New Member Gold

These numbers are averages.
    He could probably fit a lot more, if he listens to garbage like Pop music, or Hip-Hop, or anything on MTV, really. lol
  6. spyrwebs

spyrwebs Member Bronze

2000 sounds about right if your using 128kbps mp3s
  7. ColsTiger

ColsTiger Zealot Gold

2000 would be a good estimate.
  8. J-Sauce

J-Sauce New Member Bronze

what do you listen to? Just curious.
  9. In2Deep

In2Deep New Member Bronze

So far I have about a dozen complete albums with art, a few dozen pictures and a music video (the new fergie ;) ) and I'm at about 800MB... plenty more room!
  10. Romanesq

Romanesq New Member Bronze

Mixed songs bit rate

Mine are recorded from 128 to full CD quality 1400+ and I have now about 6 gigs in music with over 300 songs. The better quality recordings at higher bit rates sound even better with Ultimate Ears SuperFI 5 Pro headphones.

Right now I have just over 1 Gig available.
  11. hexonxonx

hexonxonx New Member Silver

I have 1005 songs on my 8GIG with 128MB left. Most of the bands I listen to have 5 to 10 minute long songs. I even have a few songs that are 20-30 minutes. They range from 12Kbps to 360. It's no big deal, I can change what songs I want very easily plus my Ipod can still hold all my music.
  12. Britna

Britna New Member Bronze

I have about 900 songs on my iPhone, the movie 300, and 5-8 episodes of Family Guy, and I still have 4 gbs left!
  13. In2Deep

In2Deep New Member Bronze

I just downloaded 5 movies that are currently playing in theatres... I need to see how much of that will fit on it.
  14. mynameis

mynameis New Member

Folk, Country and Heavy metal are garbage!

funny people across the world listen to Pop (started by Blacks and copied by whites) and Hip-Hop more than Metal Folk and Country put together. You must listen to Rock ALSO started by Blacks Look it up ******* Rock & Roll was started by Little Richard, Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley and Elvis just copied it! Your people have no idea what music is! Black people are the most popular most copied musicians worldwide, Rock & Roll, Jazz, Blues, Rap, Hip-Hop, Gospel, Soul, Reggae, AND Pop. Your people are not known for good music. Black artist shows sell out the world over look it up Rap artist Pop and hip-Hop alike sell out in countries as far as japan and India to Russia, UK South Africa. Your people only steal music!
  15. mynameis

mynameis New Member

TrippleHealicks is a Redneck hick! funny people across the world listen to Pop (started by Blacks and copied by whites) and Hip-Hop more than Metal Folk and Country put together. You must listen to Rock ALSO started by Blacks Look it up ******* Rock & Roll was started by Little Richard, Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley and Elvis just copied it! Your people have no idea what music is! Black people are the most popular most copied musicians worldwide, Rock & Roll, Jazz, Blues, Rap, Hip-Hop, Gospel, Soul, Reggae, AND Pop. Your people are not known for good music. Black artist shows sell out the world over look it up Rap artist Pop and hip-Hop alike sell out in countries as far as japan and India to Russia, UK South Africa.
  16. mynameis

mynameis New Member

funny people across the world listen to Pop (started by Blacks and copied by whites) and Hip-Hop more than Metal Folk and Country put together. You must listen to Rock ALSO started by Blacks Look it up ******* Rock & Roll was started by Little Richard, Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley and Elvis just copied it! Your people have no idea what music is! Black people are the most popular most copied musicians worldwide, Rock & Roll, Jazz, Blues, Rap, Hip-Hop, Gospel, Soul, Reggae, AND Pop. Your people are not known for good music. Black artist shows sell out the world over look it up Rap artist Pop and hip-Hop alike sell out in countries as far as japan and India to Russia, UK South Africa.
  17. Youngbinks

Youngbinks Zealot Bronze

I've got roughly 1,100 songs, lots of photos and wallpapers and 2 movies on my iPhone and she's about tapped out.
  18. whale_hunter

whale_hunter New Member Bronze

My hero...
  19. psylichon

psylichon Genius Moderator

A 128k mp3 is just shy of 1 MB per minute. A good reference point.

So this 2000 number is based on an average song length of 4 minutes (8000MB/1MB per minute/4 minutes per song).

If you do 192k mp3s, for example... that being 1.5x the bandwidth of 128k.... it's 8000/1.5/4 ... or about 1333 songs.

You get the idea.

One way to save space is by encoding your ringtones to a low bandwidth, mono AAC... that's about as good as they'll ever sound out of the built-in speakers anyway. This is, of course, if you have an extensive ringtone library.

Also, I use high compression (in Videora) to get a 1.5-hr movie down to around 250 MB with little discernable difference on the iPhone screen.

Music I go for 160K encoding to save a little space but sound a little better than the bare minimum 128k... I can live with 128 on the highway, but cymbals sound pretty awful on the earbuds, even with a good encoder like LAME. Keep in mind I work at a studio, so it's my job to be snobby about such things.
  20. hexonxonx

hexonxonx New Member Silver

Way back in July, I posted in this thread and mentioned that I could barely fit 1005 songs on my iPhone. Since then, I have loaded only those songs purchased from iTunes and I now have 1540 songs along with 10 music videos. What a huge difference.
  21. Lincoln

Lincoln New Member Gold

Yep, depends on what size the songs are, and how much other data is on there.