How Many were Produced?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

martigen

Jun 30, 2007
A simple question:

How many iPhones were produced?

How long you guys think it will be before stores (including Apple.com) runs out of iPhones before the next batch?

Just curious, im trying to compare this with what happened with the Sony PS3

iwantaniphonenow

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
the next question is............how many are left? and...if they sell out will they be making more? and when will those be made? lol those are hard questions.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
I bought mine at the Emeryville CA store, which is supposed to be one of Apple's highest grossing stores in the country. I counted about 200 people in line right around 6pm. Everyone got a phone. I believe, though I've not heard, that there are plenty left over.

I think all those folks who bought extras thinking they'd get a pretty penny for them on eBay after they sold out, they are going to be sorely disappointed.

I've already seen people trying to sell iPhones on eBay for $2500. :eek:

G

greenmymac

Im not going to be able to get mine until next friday i hope they have some left at the Apple store :-(

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
They had around 3 million for the launch
That can explain why so many SIM cards are bad. It stands to reason that a certain percentage of ALL products manufactured are going to be defective. Even at .05% defective rate that's 150,000 bad cards/phones that will not activate properly.

C130

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
I was told my local Apple store received a 1,000 units here in Texas. I went and bought my wife one today, she bought mine last night and the place was a mad house, selling like crazy today around 3 PM. They obviously received a lot.

gsxr370

Apr 12, 2007
I live in Rockford Illinois and there is two att stores and one got between 50 to 60 and they sold out in 32 minutes. The other had less but I don't know how many

MomPOM

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NW Burbs of Chicago
They easily had 3 million to start. The Apple store in downtown Chicago had over 350 people and if you look, they still have some in stock.

There were wayyyyy more phones than I think anyone expected. At least more than I did. :)

outsider

Jun 30, 2007
They had around 3 million for the launch
I have information that leads me to believe that less than 500,000 were made. This is a number from one of Apple's suppliers.

With all of the potential v1.0 problems, and I'm sure a little bit of intentional artificial scarcity, 500,000 makes sense to me.

It has been estimated that 200,000+ have been sold so far and I'm sure Apple is set up to ramp production quickly if demand warrants. I don't think they would want to potentially rework an extra 2,500,000 v1.0 iPhones in the event of a serious hardware or software bug.

These days the name of the game is just in time manufacturing, 3,000,000 doesn't make sense if they think they are going to sell 10,000,000 in 18 months. Apple and ATT probably want less than 100,000 in inventory at one time.

AngelJO008

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
I live in Rockford Illinois and there is two att stores and one got between 50 to 60 and they sold out in 32 minutes. The other had less but I don't know how many
there were over 40 in line and I believe they all got one in Bloomington, IL. I was 3rd in line so I got mine :D I think the smaller stores got roughly 50